Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Johnson Blue did not bloom?

Posted by shlisten Z5 ont canada (hihoneyitsyourmom@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 11:01

My Johnson Blue did not bloom, divided two years ago and did bloom first year after division but not this year, should I give it one more year before I tear it out? Planted in 95 and have continually divided over the years with no problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Johnson Blue did not bloom?

Stangely, my Johnson Blues didn't bloom this year either and like you I have no idea why.

o
RE: Johnson Blue did not bloom?

Ah, but is the bed near the lawn and is the lawn heavily fertilized with what lawns are fed with.....high amounts of nitrogen.

If this is the case, the nitrogen can leach into the nearby garden beds and will promote much greenery. But in doing so, nitrogen denies the plant to bloom. Nitrogen can cut into the effects of phosphurus....which can influence the plants' ability to bloom.

You should spread the lawn fertilizer by hand in the vicinity of garden plants.

You might, next spring, to encourage the geranium to bloom, give the base of the plant a handful of superphopshate...do this when the soil is first ready to be worked.
A month later, give the area another handful.
This might push the envelope for the plant to produce bloom.

In any case, do keep the lawn fertilizer away from your garden plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here