Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katydid0022

Overwintering

katydid0022
15 years ago

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what I can do to my geraniums to over winter them. I know to bring them inside and put in paper bags, but when do i bring them insdie. WE have not have a frost yet,but expecting our first one this week.

Please let me know b/c I would like to save mine instead of buy new ones every spring.

Comments (2)

• sarahbarah27
    15 years ago

I can't really answer your question, but i have a question!Why the paper bag? This is my first year doing it, but i thought a sunny window would be alright? What is the bags purpose?

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Katy, here it is late November and I do hope you didn't let your geraniums be touched by frost. Once inside, they are given a place where they are not allowed to freeze or be allowed to grow on if your intention is to overwinter them in the paper bags.

The idea of the bags is to let the plant breathe---be sure to keep the bags open to allow moisture to escape.
    No water, no light, no heat, is given the plants, just darkness, coolness - not below 40ºF - not above 55º - 60º.
    A coldceller, fruit cellar or a cool area of your basement or crawl space is ideal where they are left to spend the winter alone, untouched by water or light or heat.

In the bag, they will dry out...and the bag will catch the debris.

February/March....the sun returns from the south and is the time plants can renew themselves. Geranium is a plant that can renew itself as good as ever----maybe better.

AT that time, bring them out to a well papered table where they are cut back to about 4" - 6"...all old leaves are remeoved. Cut away any damaged or weak stems.
    Compost them.

Into a clean, well draining pot - clay is good--that is given fresh potting soil. Put some material between the soil and the drainage holes--clay shards work wonderful.
    This will prevent the soil from clogging up the drainage holes. The geranium must drain well after every watering.
    The drainage water must not be allowed to sit longer than 10 - 15 minutes.

No fertilizer at this time. Feed only a growing plant.
    Water to drainage. Place in a sunny window--northern exposure is not worth much.
    Turn the plant 1/4 turn every day or so to give it full measure of sunlight.
    In about 3 weeks, you should have a plant that has much leafing. By mid April/early May, the plant is probably full leafed.
    Whether flower buds are seen at this time is of no concern, it will flower when put outside in May.

When new growth is evident, begin to fertilize 1/4 rate until leafing is well underway and then increase the rate every 3rd or 4th watering.
    When you water, always, to drainage...and dump the excess.
    Water should be allowed to gain room temperature.

That's alll there is to it. Every year, before frost touches, the plants are brought inside to coolness.
    Every year, they are cut back and treated to sunshine in February/March.
    I have 7 plants...5 of them are now 7 or 8 years old---cant remember which.
    They're as good as the day I bought....better in fact.
    I do make sure they are given fresh potting soil and fed only when they are growing.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!