Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajetana

What are your favourite Hardy Geraniums?

Cajetana
19 years ago

Hello,

I'm working at a 'Top Geranium' list now and I've asked many people living in middle Europe what their best and worst geranium are.

Where which geranium is growing best is a matter of the climate and so on, but I'd be interested how you decide.

A list of the favourites mentioned so far by people who live mostly in Germany and Austria you can see below.

It's written in German, but you'l be able to read the latin names anyway.

Greetings,

Katrin

Here is a link that might be useful: The List

Comments (9)

• leo_prairie_view
    19 years ago

It is hard to decide what is my favourite geranium. Each one has its place in the garden and its own time of beauty. If I had to choose it would be Brookside because of its long bloom time and colour that is really blue. Then it hard to choose between G. pratense 'Plenum Violaceum' and G. macrorrhizum 'Ingwersens Variety'. The cloud of pink that the macrorrhizum produces in the spring is so cheering after our long winters and I enjoy the scent of the foliage when I brush against it. The double pratense blooms later and longer that the other pratenses with such perfect blooms. Then there is G. sanguineum 'Striatum' whose sheer beauty of each blossom is hard to match.
    As I was cleaning up the garden this afternoon after 6 degrees of frost last week there were still a few bright white blooms on the G. sanguineum 'Album'. G. pyrenaicum is also still blooming its heart out and has new seedling sprouting everywhere. The foliage of G. phaeum var. lividum was untouched by the frost with its nicely mounded shape. It is one of my personal favourites and I would rank it up there with Brookside and ÂPlenum ViolaceumÂ.
    At the bottom of my list there is no question. G. bohemicum sprawled all over this summer somehow seeming to produce more seeds than bloom. I started it from seed out of curiosity of what Robin P. of Geraniaceae Nursery in California meant by "fugitive blue flowers". I now assume it is because the flowers are so quick to dissapear.

• Cajetana
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Leo.
    It's a pity that the climate here is improperly for cultivating G. pratense 'Plenum Violaceum'. It get's mildew very quickly.
    G. sanguineum var. striatum is blooming the whole summer here, a great plant!
    I also love 'Blue Cloud' and all the phaeums. But one of the greatest - despite the fact that it's (pretended) not easy to grow - is G. sinense. The nearly black flowers are fascinating me.

Greetings,
    Katrin

• gata
    19 years ago

Hi. I live in North America. One of my favorites is G. renardii because of its leaves. Its flowers are nice too, but not especially long blooming. I've grown very fond of the white variety of G. sangiuneum, perhaps because it took a few seasons to really establish. The flowers are truly white through and through. I think 'Ballerina' would be on my top ten list. I like the way it forms a neat little mound.

• freebird
    19 years ago

Rozanne -- It started to bloom in June, and today, October 25, it is still blooming.

• Jean14
    19 years ago

It is hard to choose. I love G. wallichianum varieties, G. 'Nora Bremner' and G. kishtvariense too. But the palmated foliage of G. palmatum and G. maderense is so beautiful ! In the garden, G. 'Rozanne' is also still blooming. G. malviflorum blooms in early spring and is also attractive. And G. 'Spinners' ... I love geraniums.
    Greetings.
    Jean

• Newt
    19 years ago

I live in Maryland in zone 7 and planted 'Rozanne' in my daughter's garden the first week in May. It started blooming within a week and is still in bloom with loads of flowers on November 1! Definately my favorite for long bloom.

Newt

• gordonf
    19 years ago

I like Johnson's Blue, and I have a new one that I grew from seed from Chiltern Seeds called "Jester's Jacket". It has variegated, spotted leaves. It has not bloomed yet as it's only in its first year, but the leaf colour keeps changing. Whether that is caused by the plant ageing or because of the cooler, Fall weather, I don't know, but it's a stand-out plant!

• JaneH
    19 years ago

My favorite tall species is G. psilostemon. Everyone who visits my experimental garden admires the large, dark-eyed, magenta flowers.

My best rock garden species is G. cinereum 'Ballerina'. It is fairly compact, mound-forming, has large, showy pink flowers and is long-blooming.

In addition, I love my 3 native Geraniums: G. fremontii (rose-pink), G. richardsonii (white) and G. caespitosum (strong magenta with reflexed petals).

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain View Experimental Gardens

• lynne_melb
    18 years ago

My favorite is g. sanguinem striatum. Thrived in clay soil in a spot that baked in the summer sun and then very cold (zone 5, Chicago). The color was very pretty, it bloomed heavily in the spring and then sporadically most of the summer, and I liked the leaves too. It stayed tidy too.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County