Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turkeyfarm_gw

scented geranium culture

turkeyfarm
19 years ago

I have several varieties of scented geraniums as houseplants. Can anyone tell me how to keep them from growing so tall and leggy? Each leaf has a stem about 5-6 inches long and they flop all over. I have tried pinching them back with no success. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (9)

• suzy626
    19 years ago

I think ideally, they prefer to be outdoors and in the ground in sunny areas.
    I have several scented geraniums that are thriving so much they've become large bushes that my husband has to keep lopping back to keep them maintained.

• gulliblevolunteer
    19 years ago

Suzy is right. Mine all get lanky in winter because they compete for sun in an eastern window. Come spring I prune them drastically just before setting them outside (where they grow to a nice shape). The trimmings root easily. Thinking of trying a growlight this winter to see if that helps keep them squat. Read somewhere that in their native S. Africa, the larger scenteds can get 6-feet tall.

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Hiya, Suzy--I'm in N. TX, so I'm not too far off f/your seasonal type--how do you keep your scented's alive throughout the winter?

Kathleen

• Janine Starykowicz
    19 years ago

I have a potted citrosa, this will be its second winter inside. I have it in my basement office, so it gets very little sun but a lot of artificial light. It also gets down into the low 50s because the basement is only semi-heated (vents but no separate thermostat).

Last year it got very lanky, but actually bloomed in February. I really didn't trim it back (although the dog and wind got some of the longer trailers) and it still filled in nicely. The main plant is about 2 feet tall before the flopping starts.

I also bought a Lady Plymouth this past spring, so we'll see how she likes it inside for the winter.

• socal23
    19 years ago

Kathleen,

pelargoniums don't need any protection in zone 10 California. We put them in the ground and then try desperately to keep them from taking over. Many varieties actually seed themselves about.

Ryan

• ILuvPetunias
    19 years ago

Can anyone tell me where they got their scented geraniums? Did you start from seed or seedlings from a garden center/greenhouse? Do they require the same sun as the other types?

• socal23
    19 years ago

Mine came from a local nursery, I give them the same culture as the rest. Presumably pot culture would be similar as well.

• jleek
    19 years ago

I bring some of my pelargoniums in every year, only to spare my wallet for the coming Spring. As soon as I bring them in here in zone 5/ma no matter how I care for them I end up with browning or dropping leaves--messy- I have a sun room with sliders on three sides and it is heated and used through out the winter season. I will get some good leafing and flowering for a bit and by February I will be tired of picking up after them.

I could save myself the trouble and just bring them into the cellar but guess Im thinking I am always prolonging the green season. So guess my answer to all in the NE or zone 5 area to expect some droppings of foliage and the lesser light the stringyer (is that a word?) the plant.

However, on a bright note there is an older woman here in town (on MAIN street (the showy street ya know) that has red geraniums on her windowsills all winter season. Now that I am getting older I bet those are artificial!!! Hey whatever, they look great and sure makes her house look cheery during the grey winter months. Jacquelyn

• PRO
    Earthly Delights Gardens
    19 years ago

I got mine at a wonderful website called No Thyme Productions which is at www.nothyme.com . The woman who runs it is absolutely fantastic. She is knowlegable and helpful and her plants are extremely healthy. I have also ordered pots and herbs from her.

I especially love the lemon and lime scented geraniums.

Good Luck!

April

Here is a link that might be useful: No Thyme Productions

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer