Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbaby_gw

Well I never knew!

pbaby
18 years ago

Well! I let last year's geraniums just die out and bought new ones this Spring. Can I really bring them inside and keep them forever and ever? (Well, a long time, anyway?) Naturally, I have no idea what kind they were...

Comments (6)

• melrt968
    18 years ago

Yes you can. Pelargoniums belong to a class of plant known as Half-Hardy Perennials. They will not tolerate frost but if you lift them and pot them up and keep the plants in a frost free, well lit,situation and on the dry side they will last for many years. Do not overwater them or allow them to stand in water, when they are dry water and allow to drain thoroughly. There are varieties of Pelargoniumthat have been around for more than 100 years.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

100 years!!! I'd love to see one of those.

pbaby, those 'pellies' will sure cheer up the Wisconsin winters too :-)

Jean

• melrt968
    18 years ago

Hello Jean,
    One variety that I grow is "Freak of Nature" (Gray: 1880). Mr Gray succeeded in reversing the normal green/white colourings, a feat that geneticists say is impossible. There are also several other varieties dating from around this time having been preserved by cuttings.
    Happy growing
    Ron

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

Brought in my geranium for the winter and took 2 cuttings. I pruned it a lot also. Do you think I will get another plant out of this?
    {{gwi:827778}}
    {{gwi:827779}}

• AxelDog_z5
    18 years ago

I have managed to save my geranium for 4 years now doing exactly as Melrt968 instructs. Mine is container grown and I just bring it in before frost, spray it for bugs, and place it in an East window of the garage.

When the nights stay about 50 degrees, I gradually bring it out again.

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

pbaby, what exactly do you have in mind about "bringing them in"...and keeping them?

Geraniums can indeed be brought in and treated like a houseplant...kept going in bloom for a while, then kept alive until the sun's value resumes in about mid February.

Then there is the other way.....brought in and placed in a part of the house where the temperatures are a constant 40 to 50 degrees. This is the place where moisture is kept out of, where light is not allowed, where heat is denied and where the plant is left alone until we wish to re-invigorate them when the sun is better in mid February.

My own plants, 5 of them...are now in their 8th year.

So, you pick the way you wish to keep them going....for ever, and ever and ever.

You might wish tho to not let your plant continue to bloom as it takes a lot of energy from the plant. Instead, pinch back the bloom and send that energy to the leaves and roots.
    In any case, if you keep the plant going, cut it back about half...or more....repot in fresh new potting soil (mix with coarse sand and peat moss), keep the soil up away from the drainage holes, water ...always....til drainage, allow full drainge, then dump the excess. Allow the plant to dry down between waterings, and water ...always....til drainage.

Dont feed a plant that is not growing. When growth is evident, begin feeding it at half rate 20/20/20...and each day, turn your plant 1/4 turn so that all parts of the plant receives equal amount of light.

As the day's dwindle to a precious few...November....December..21st, you may wish to use artificial light for a time until the sun's value returns in February.

The other method, you don't do a thing until February.