Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
physio_gw

Winter!!

physio
19 years ago

I have a lovely deep maroon coloured geranium which I want to winter over. Trouble is I don't have a 'cool' basement. what do I do with it? It's in hanging basket outside at the moment but I know ice is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (5)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

First thing that always has to be addressed. Be sure you actually have a pelargonium, not a true geranium. There is an explanation in the FAQs. A little mix-up back when old Linnaeus was naming things ;-) True geraniums are perennials and must go through a cold dormancy period, so they need to be in the ground outside over winter. But you probably have pelargoniums.

I grow my pelargoniums indoors as houseplants in the winter. I don't have good windows in the fully heated part of the home, so they get stuck in a partially heated sunroom, that stays above freezing. I used to bring them to work for the winter, but have since switched jobs, and don't have access to that anymore.

Being able to grow them in the house in the winter has elevated Pelargoniums to my favorite plant status. I don't normally do well with houseplants, but these do well for me. It's a joy to have flowers all winter long. Mine don't bloom nearly as much as in the summer, but they are in a cooler temperature, and the light isn't great. When I brought them in to work, they were in huge south windows, and just went gang-busters. Everyone enjoyed them. Best of luck with your 'pellies.'

• melrt968
    19 years ago

Hello
    Make sure your plant is free from pests and fungi, tidy up dead leaves remove any damaged shoots. Keep the plant in good light and on the dry side. Do not overwater and all should be well.

• gail_ish
    19 years ago

My grandmother always kept Pelargoniums as house plants - I never saw anyone use them outside until I moved off the farm. So she kept them growing on the windowsill all year round & so do I (the smell always reminds me of Granny - which is why I'm hooked on them). I put them out this summer for the first time, in a basket of an old rusted bicycle we found back in the bush of our new farm, with a bunch of other 'junk'.

• DianeKaryl
    19 years ago

Into every life a little rain must fall. It is encouraging to hear that in Vancouver you are not always having temperatures that make us easterners drool....especially us in cold, cold Toronto. It is after all, thought of as Canada's banana belt....and many of us think, instead of Florida, with those high U.S. prices, the west coast is a good alternative to trade winter weather for.

If you don't have the coolness of a basement....perhaps one of your friends or family does. Perhaps, somebody has an old unused, but usable refrigerator where the plants can go and enjoy the winter, all dark, all dry, and all alone.

The fridge has temperatures that your geraniums will do very well by....35 - 55 F. Just keep water and other forms of moisture away from them.

When you wish for yourself some nice mild winter days ahead, please, get over that hate relationship for us poor frigid easterners and pray for us that we might enjoy a few days such as yours. Sure, ship us some rain ---at least, we don't have to shovel that.

Good luck.

• DianeKaryl
    19 years ago

I'm assuming you wish to put them aside---overwintered---and bring them back in the spring.

Now us easterners confuse Vancouver as being mildish in your winter so if temps don't get down that much, you might just be able to overwinter them in your garage or shed if you give the plants good protection....without endangering them from moisture and heat.

It all comes down to keeping the plants as dry and cool as possible. Moisture is its worst enemy...mildew and fungus can do them in over the winter months.

And old fridge....of yours or one of your friends will do nicely.
    Remove them from their soil, shake off any loose soil and let them dry in your garage or shed for a day or so. You don't want to put away plants that are damp.

Plants put into a container with thick sides---a wood barrel..would be ideal. Packed with peat moss, dry sand, vermiculite, packing material, then wrapped with burlap should give enough protection from freezes/thaws/freezes that might visit even Vancouver. Please, don't allow rain to infiltrate the containers---that would surely do them in.

Let's hope both of us has a nice, mild winter.
    Heck, I think I could some of that rain you get.....at least you don't have to shovel that.

Diane in Toronto.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm