Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennial Cranesbill - Overwintering

Posted by jweiner 4-5 (southern WI) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 18:21

We just planted a bunch of these this past summer (about 3 months ago). The tag indicates these are Biokova Karmina (Geranium x cantabrigiense). This means nothing to me other than that they should come up next Spring. Do these need any special pruning as winter sets in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennial Cranesbill - Overwintering

This plant is typically listed only to zone 5, so you might find it of marginal hardiness for you. Otherwise, the foliage takes on great fall colors. It is mostly evergreen in my climate, but will benefit from a shearing back of the old foliage in late winter. In your climate, I'd suggest shearing back after a couple of hard frosts, then mulching well.

Good luck.

o
RE: Perennial Cranesbill - Overwintering

I have grown G. x cantabrigiense in Zone 2b for several years now and it is completely hardy. I don't trim it back in the fall but leave it as it is to catch the snow. In the spring I give it a cleanup but if I miss the new growth comes quickly and it always looks tidy. It is used extensively as a ground cover at the International Peace Garden on the Manitoba-North Dakota border.
Leo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here