Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds?

Posted by bloomorelse Z4b NB (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 04 at 21:35

I thought I might have seeds from my geranium, but I noticed in an earlier posting someone describing what they thought was seeds as a banana peel, and someone else responsed that that was not the seed. Can someone describe what the seed looks like? and how to grow. Any help appreciated.
Joan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds?

I have only had success finding seeds on zonals. When the heads dry you will see spikes sticking out. At the base of the spikes is the seed. The success rate I've had is so/so but if you collect a lot you'll have some plants.

o

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 17, 04 at 23:11

bloomorelse, here's some photos of geranium seeds and pods. You've got to be quick to harvest them and time it just right or the seed capsules have opened and you've lost your seed. I was making daily visits to g. nodosum this year trying to gather enough to sow...

(I've grown hardy geraniums from seed by sowing fresh seed on moist potting soil, covering with chick grit, and leaving the container outdoors here in this mild climate. Have not done the more tender types)

Here is a link that might be useful: seed pods and seed

o

Oh thx suz and Mor,
I was just trying to collect these for someone for a swap! Hard to find little suckers!
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here