Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilize or not?

Posted by peter4 6a MI (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 2, 06 at 10:35

A friend has brought her geraniums into her house for the winter, hoping to keep them alive til spring. So far they are doing fine. They were getting a little leggy, so I told her to pinch that off and they are growing new leaves. My question is - should she fertilize them at all while she has them in the house??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilize or not?

I would have thought keeping them on the dry side would be better over the winter

o

I agree with pellie-grower.

o

The keeping them going in that fashion is an aceepted way...and you might expect them to be leggy owing to the low value of the sun.
Just cut them back as needed. This enables the lower sun to give to the lower size of the plant for continued health.

If the plant is growing new leaves, then sure, go ahead, feed the plant minimally. You don't want to push the plant to produce too much with such low sun not doing well by the plant. Normally, you would not feed a plant that is not growing.
Then too, it will need less water if it is not growing.
As new leaves are forming, water according to its needs...let it dry down between waterings and when you water do so always to drainage, then dump the excess.

Your plant will do only as good as the sun will give.
Soon, depending in just how much sun it receives, the plant will lose vigor. At this time, you may decide to put into storage---a cool place in the basement until mid February when it can be brought out again, cut back and encouraged to re-grow.

o

I should add though if the geranium can be kept going as you suggested it is, then let it grow as it will until mid February/March....then yu can decide whether you wish to take cuttings from that, divide the plant or maintain the plant as it is and re-pot when it can go outside in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here