Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scented geranium for kitchen window

Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 14:16

We have a kitchen garden window that faces south-east, but the top shelf in the window casts some shade on the bottom shelf. I've tried growing full-sun plants there thinking it's a full-sun window, but they didn't they clearly didn't get enough sun due to the window frame, the top shelf, and the e-glass which filters some of the light. I'd like to try growing some scented geraniums there, ones that like some filtered light but can take some strong light during the day.

Wondering if anyone can make any suggestions for some that will grow well in this setting. It can have trailing stems (like the peppermint varieties) or not (e.g. apple-scented). I might throw in some mint plants as well, in their own containers.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scented geranium for kitchen window

i know for a fact that citronella will grow anywhere.

o

I am looking for seed sources for scented geraniums. thanks, tonytiller

o

Jenn..how big does this scented geranium get? Somebody gave me a seedling that she had WS and I'm trying to make out her handwriting and it looks like scented geranium. Guess it is not an outdoor plant if you're putting it in your kitchen window? What color flowers does it get? Is this a regular geranium or a perennial hardy geranium?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here