Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilandel

Winter storage mistake

hilandel
18 years ago

Unfortunately, a couple of days ago I got caught with my geraniums out, so to speak. We got an unexpected snowfall which left my MANY geraniums with translucent leaves. Is there any point to storing them now that this damage has been done. There are hundreds and I don't want to have to reinvest that much money again if there's a chance some of them will survive. Please help!!

Comments (4)

• melrt968
    18 years ago

Suggest that you lift all the plants and remove them to a frost-free environment. Examine them carefully and remove any damaged leaves, place the the plants upright in a cardboard box and cover the plant roots with moist compost. If possible keep the plants in a well lit situation.Do not crowd the plants and observe for signs of fungal disease. The chances are that many of the plants will recover.

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

Mel, in the United Kingdom, possibly what you suggest is the right thing to do....for as many plants as hilandel reports she/he has. But, I cant help thinking, the plant must have its growing stage arrested at this time.
    The sun is just about at its lowest ebb ...December 21...so any kind of light to promote survival of a plant that has been subjected to such low temperatures, I feel is not going to be helped with the sun's value as it is.

I reckon the plant has to be invited to sleep...to rest its weary bones so that it is not pushed to do something it cant.

Hil....how you describe the number you have...over a hundred...suggests you should have a greenhouse...a large greenhouse to store that many. They should be, in my opinion, allowed to dry for a time...out of the light...away from all low temperatures and nowhere near warm temperatures that would promote any kind of growth.

Then they should be stored in a cool environment...35 to 50 degrees fahrenheit...2 to 10 celsius..where they remain until we want them to renew their growth....and that's in February in your zone 5 when the sun makes a return to light levels more conducive to re-invigorating them.

At that time, they would be cut back by 1/3..1/4...as you choose, their roots inspected and all old leaves and any damaged stems or branches is cut back. Then, into fresh, new potting soil, with soil away from the drainage holes, watered to the point of draining, and given the best light available.

Normally, a geranium can be brought into the warmth of a home, given as much light as possible....even possibly thinking artificial light, to keep the plant going....it will eventually stop blooming, as long as possible and then even, doing what I suggest above. But....over a hundred plants?

Frankly, I think its a crapshoot....you might be damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I suggest you think positive.....and

Good luck.

• hilandel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I do keep them in a garage in winter which has not much light and is cool. We live in the woods and the only way to have color is to pot them and move them around constantly by putting on patios and hanging them ever 5 feet from fascia. After reading the forum, I went ahead and stored them there to rest until February and then strip them as you all said and start over. I'll let you know if any survive

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

Hil....if you cant store them in a cool environment...35 to 50 fahrenheit, and are forced to use rooms or areas that normally face the winter's worst, you might try the "light" method.....i.e. where they are stored, put an incandescent light bulb near the place of storage...but not close enough to suggest the plant is being hit with warmth...but still close enough to ward off the chills. Left on for the times of freezing cold ...especially during nighttimes. An incandescent light bulb can generate a great deal of heat but it dissipates rather easily a foot away.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County