Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scented Geraniums

Posted by Ondrea_Carina_Leaf 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 05 at 15:07

and/or Pelargoniums. Best I could tell from FAQ is they are the same. If not they sure look the same except the bloom size.
My question is for zone 7/8. How do I overwinter them? How many years do they normally live if overwintered correctly. SInce on a normal winter it usually freezes ,maybe twice I can't see doing the uprooting them and placing in bags and boxes. They just need to set in a sunny window. THose few nights of frigid weather. I just can't seem to keep them alive until Spring. How do you warmer climate people keep yours through those cold spells?

Also those that do the cutting back for winter naps. Have you considered trading the cuttings or sharing them for postage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scented Geraniums

• Posted by tahota USDA-5 Sunst-2b (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 13:22

Scented Geraniums are a type of Pelargonium. Set them in a sunny window and treat them just like a houseplant and they should winter over just fine. Be sure they get lots of sun and water when the soil surface is dry to the touch.

o
RE: Scented Geraniums2

• Posted by tahota USDA-5 Sunst-2b (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 13:37

Additionally, by the end of the winter, they will most likely be a bit leggy. Rather than planting the original plant that you dug last fall, cut the healthy tips about an inch below the last leaf, dip in rooting hormone, and plant tips in well-drained soil. Place in bright, indirect light and keep soil consistantly moist until new growth begins. Discard the original plant. You should be able to keep your pelargoniums going year after year indefinately.

o
RE: Scented Geraniums

I kinda like the way the plant looks this time of year. I hate to just discard the mature plant. It took three months to grow it this size and get the bloom power. So I guess if it starts the leggy thing I can trim it up. Does trimming Pelargoniums make them grow more thicker like other plants?

I have a friend that will let me over winter them in her greenhouse. SO sunshine and correct temps should be ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here