Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help to ID a Cranesbill Geranium

Posted by mcjane 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 22:57

I'm sure this is from the Cranebill Geranium family, but I cannot identify the species since there are so many different Cranesbill.

The soft leaves measure up to 3 inches across & the very bright pink flowers 1/4 inch.

I need to know more about it so I can care for it properly & would like to know if I should leave it outside over winter or if it would be better to bring it inside.

Also, in case my picture doesn't show up I would appreciate it very much if someone would tell how to do it on this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help to ID a Cranesbill Geranium

Oops, my URL for my image did not show up. Here it is.

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/mcjane/00000001.JPG

o
RE: Need Help to ID a Cranesbill Geranium

It is Geranium robertianum, aka Herb Robert, a wild annual species that is considered a noxious weed in many parts of the country. Although quite hardy, often growing and blooming throughout winter in my climate, I wouldn't go to the effort of overwintering it. It self sows prolifically.

As Trevor Bath notes: "It often appears in the garden uninvited, looking delightful in the chink of a shady wall or paving. Turn your back and it will soon cover the whole garden, bedding itself comfortably in your most treasured small plants - you have been warned!"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here