Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themadplanter

Overwintering Geraniums - Still Growing... Help!

themadplanter
19 years ago

This past winter I grew geraniums from seed for the first time (several Burpee varieties) and had pretty good luck. All year long I had planned to overwinter many of them, but other projects around the house took precedence and I didn't do it before several hard freezes.

After I pulled out the plants with brute force thinking they were dead, I noticed that many of them still had small, healthy leaf shoots towards the base of the stem. I decided to lay 8 of the best looking ones in a plastic tray and put them in my cool (60°F), dark unfinished basement. I never thought they would survive since they cme up with very little few roots intact. Fast forward to the other day (about a month after bringing them in), while painting the basement floor I was startled to see A LOT healthy green full-sized leaves growing out perpendicular to the main stems.

My question is what would the more experienced growers here do in this situation? Should I just leave them be, repot them and set up a grow light in the basement a little early, or trim off the new growth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve

Comments (4)

• kdjoergensen
    19 years ago

You can grow them under flourescent lights. IF they become overgrown, make cuttings and grow new plants. This way you should have some nice stocky offspring ready for spring.

You can also leave them where they are and make cuttings of the (well overgrown/lanky/unattractive) plants which will be the result in a few months.

• jleek
    19 years ago

If after the Holidays you would like to see a little of the plants growing all you have to do is cut the stem in two inch pieces and working with the bottom side down (understand that? stick the stem in some roton--rooting hormone--and stick the stem in good moist soil. I use styrofoam cups, MG soil take a pencil to push down the soil in the center and stick in stem and press around it with your fingers. No need to have much sticking above soil line.

If the plant has become all stringy simply hold in one hand and slide fingers down the stem with the other-hence taking off all leaves and small shoots. I just keep them lined up on the window sill and usually begin them with a baggie over them - doesn't hurt.

If you do not want to be bothered with any plants at this time, leave plant completely alone. Because it gets a little light it will send out very stringy shoots. That is ok. Around April or May when Spring fever hits you-bring plant out and dip into a solution of 1/3 lysol and 2/3's water to kill any buggies or insects and repot as normal or begin your little cuttings at this time. Keep moist but not sopping and they will be fine to put out May 30th. Have done both ways for years. My grandmother's theory, she'd be 150 yrs by now,take a cutting in the Spring and root and throw away the "mother" plant, many people feel the same is true with strawberry plants. Keep the new seedling and throw out the mother. I personally, am too thrifty!! Jacquelyn

• kathicville
    19 years ago

I've been overwintering mine (also grown from seed last winter) on a cool, enclosed porch, and they're growing more enthusiastically now than they did during the summer! Go figure! One is in bloom, and two others are throwing out buds. I did cut them back pretty hard in October (to about one-third of their end-of-summer size), but otherwise have just been keeping them watered. Pure accident on my part, but I guess the light and temps on the porch are just the ticket for them!

• eukofios
    19 years ago

This is a belated response but it might still be helpful.

When I was growing up in the midwest, people used to dig up their geraniums in the fall, shake off the dirt, and hang them upside down in their unheated basements. In the spring, they would prune off the root ends and deadest-looking top parts and plant them.

This winter I dug mine up for an experiment. One, I kept in the windowsill for potential cuttings. I water it about once or twice per month. Im not trying to encourage it to grow - just survive in a dormant state. Several I shook off the soil & wrapped in newspaper or brown paper bags, put them upside down in a corner of the attached but unheated garage. Once each month I've been opening, then soaking them in water, then re-wrapping (I think I read that part somewhere on garden web).

So far, the one in the window sill looks best - pale but still green & with plump stems. Second best is one that I kept the prior winter, then this year dug up and wrapped in a brown paper grocey bag. The stems are still plump, although the leaves are dried out and brown. Most of the newspaper-wrapped ones truly look dead, although there are still some stems that are somewhat plump.

I suspect that the newspaper is too thin.

I also have some vining geraniums that I just leave in the pots and store overwinter without watering. They look OK so far. Some are 3 years old, with this treatment. We do the same thing with fuschias, and one of these is 5 years old now.

I would say, dont give up. They may need some soaking. Even if geraniums are cheap, a several year old plant has a handsome, bonsai-like appearance that young plants dont reproduce.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm