Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdog2568

How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?

kdog2568
9 years ago

Last year was my first year growing geraniums from seed(Pelargonium x hortorum) and I was impressed at the hardiness these plants exhibited and the length of time they bloomed throughout our long summer.

My only complaint was the fact that the blooms were never as full as I had hoped. The blooms wouldn't all open at the same which would leave the flowers looking very sparse, and they were easily blown off by the winds, which weren't terribly strong.

Is there any way to strengthen the blooms on geraniums (with perhaps a certain nutrient)and get them to all open within the same time frame? I have frequented many greenhouses and have seen first hand blooms that are compact and very full and wish to achieve this effect with my own.

At first the individual blooms will look nice but quickly they blow off or don't fill in fast enough for that full look I am hoping for. Here's a pic of what I mean:
{{gwi:2125647}}

{{gwi:2125648}}

Comments (10)

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

You will never achieve the fullness of blooms that you are seeing in the greenhouses due to the fact that those are geraniums grown from cuttings. Geraniums grown from seeds just do not have the same bloom fullness.

• kdog2568
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So these full blooms are impossible to get unless you have cuttings? Not even F1 gen seeds will give favorable results?

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

No, I'm sorry but they won't. Seed geraniums are still pretty, and seeds give people a chance to grow them when they don't have access to geranium cuttings/plugs. I think you are doing a good job with your geraniums from what I can see of the foliage in the first picture. Please enjoy them.

• kdog2568
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info gmatx, I guess I will just have to obtain a mother plant in which I can have a source of cuttings for those type of blooms. Nonetheless I will continue to grow seedlings and just be contented with the beauty of raising these guys from seed :)

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

The plants you are planting from seed, can be the mother plants. Take cuttings from those, root them, pot them, and see if they would produce blooms differently from your seeded plants.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Cuttings are genetic clones so they can't produce flowers different from the mother plant.

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

Sorry, what I meant by different is to say if the plant grown from a cutting would bloom more profusely like a new plant, than the mother plant as it matures, even if your prune it or dead-head it..

• scott_madison Zone 5a- Madison, WI
    9 years ago

Greetings! I have worked in a greenhouse for over 15 years. We grow all our own plants, geraniums included. It is true that seed grown geraniums never produce flowers or plants the size of cutting grown geraniums. We grow both, and the seed grown always have smaller flower heads, while the cutting grown produce the huge, full flower heads you refer to. Both types have their uses. Seed grown plants are great for use in bedding, when you need a large quantity, since they are significantly cheaper and the smaller flower heads hold up better under adverse weather conditions. Cutting grown, while more expensive, are usually reserved for use in planters and urns, or as specimen plants, where larger more vigorous plants are needed.

• dowlinggram
    9 years ago

The difference between cuttings and seed grown geraniums is size. When you take cuttings you start out with a plant the size of a seed grown geranium that is 2 months old. In 2 weeks that cutting has rooted and it's off to the growing races. The bigger the plant the better root system and more shoots to produce more flowers. If you over wintered those seed grown ones and let them grow inside all winter you'd have a large plant with plenty of flowers. Geraniums are very undemanding in doors. All you need is a window sill. They adapt very well to lower light conditions. As a rule I can get at least 6 cuttings off of each plant I over winter indoors

The best way to grow cuttings is in soilless mix on a heating mat. I also use rooting powder. I never lose cuttings grown this way

• Maritza Gonzalez
    8 years ago

If they continue taking hybrids like Sarita l will buy maverick seeds to regain geraniums that I lost by the strong heat. Will achieve abundant flowers?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services