Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geraniums still alive! How to cold-frame them.

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 21:24

I can't believe it, but at least 3 of the geraniums (regular old zonals) I planted this summer appear to still be alive, even making new small leaves. Maybe because we haven't yet had a prolonged hard freeze. Is there a way I can cover them, like with a translucent plastic bowl, to keep them alive during the winter? Thanks. Happy Holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geraniums still alive! How to cold-frame them.

You could take some cutttings and over winter them in your house. Personally, I just buy my zonal geraniums in the spring. So much less trouble.

o

Esther,
If you enjoy Geraniums like we do through the winter - you may try propagating them in the fall and bring them in the house as we did. We propagated 40 Zonal & Ivy Geraniums and are now propagating the propagated Geraniums as they grow. Here is a photo of how the Geraniums looked in late October.

Photobucket

This photo shows the same plants in late December. We now have 50 plants and our count will increase as we continue to propagate. We will continue to cut them back until they are ready to move to our GH - then plant in containers in the spring.

Photobucket

Here is another photo comparing how the plant looks when propagated and how the plant looks in approximately 2 months of growth. We find the Geraniums need very little attention - watering every 4-6 days is about all they require - and you can enjoy the plants over the winter while saving money in the spring.

Photobucket

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 10:24

o

I propagate a few in pots that bloom throughout the winter in my south windows but most of them I just pull up, shake the dirt off, put them in plastic grocery bags and keep them under a shelf by the back door of the basement room where it's cool and dark. They go dormant. I pull them out in February, add dirt to the bag, give 'em water and light and most of them start going again. I replant them in the spring. I didn't think it would work until I tried it one year. I haven't bought geraniums in years unless I just see a new color I want. Give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here