Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red leaves on Chirita Stardust?

Posted by aes123 Z6 OH (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 12:23

I bought a Chirita Stardust about a year ago, and haven't had much luck with it. It hasn't flowered at all, and hasn't really gotten any bigger, either. The outer leaves tend to turn a reddish color, then die off.

I give this plant the same attention I give my AVs, and while they do very well, I'm clearly missing something with the chirita. The red leaves seem like the most obvious symtom that something isn't quite right. What do you think it might be?

Image link: Red leaves on Chirita Stardust? (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red leaves on Chirita Stardust?

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 13:45

I want to say too much light, but I could be wrong.

Slow board, ain't it?

Korina

o

That was my thought too, so I moved the plant to the edges of my light table. On furthur reflection, I'm not sure if excess light is the problem. If you look at the picture, notice that the tips of the outer leaves are most affected. Wouldn't symptoms of excess light be most apparent on the leaf surfaces closest to the light?

In any case, I haven't seen any significant change in the plant's condition since the pick was posted.

What types of temp/humidity do Chirita tend to prefer? I haven't turned on the air conditioning, and hope not to have to. Temps have only occasionaly gotten over 80 so far this summer, and indoor humidity is typically around 40%-50%. I could probably rig up some sort of humidity tray to boost humidity.

o

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 14:14

Red leaves on chiritas is a known problem. But, I don't know what the cause is. It isn't too much light. Also, they don't need high humidity, or extra warm or cool conditions. For the most part chiritas are very tough. They don't need to be kept as evenly moist as AV's so generally are not wicked. Allowing the soil to dry just a bit between watering seems to help them. I grow them under lights and in window sills. I find they do well in both situations. They are also hardy here, but outdoors I have to watch for animals that eat their leaves--deer or squirrels?? Being succulent, they seem to thrive in relatively small pots with good indirect light. They don't need too much fertilizer, but a steady program will encourage flowering.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here