Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first gloxinia

Posted by haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 5:40

Here's a pic of my very first gloxinia. Hope I can propagate it and have more plants later.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first gloxinia

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 12:03

Wow, Xuan, what a hottie! I'm not normally big on double flowers, but yours is *gorgeous*.

Korina

'Heroes aren't made -- they're cornered.'

o

Thanks, Korina :-). I don't know much about gloxinia and haven't seen many photos of it either. Actually I'm keeping this one the way I do AVs, i.e. standing it at the windowsill and wick-watering it too. The blooms you see here have been on show for nearly a month now. Some big leaves were damaged and been removed but there're a number of suckers (?). What should I do with them? Could I remove and pot them up just like AVs? Really don't know a thing so would appreciate any inputs.

Xuan

o

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 14:03

Hi Xuan,

Gloxinias (Sinningia speciosa) are very easy to propagate. They propagate easier than any other sinningia, in fact. You can root leaves or new shoots or tip cuttings. Even the flower stem with calyx from a spent flower will root and make a tuber, which will later sprout. Here, I root them all under plastic, since the humidity is quite low. They generally need a little more humidity than AV's to root. I use a mix of perlite/vermiculite for rooting, but regular mix should be OK. I cover the potted leaves or shoots in a plastic bag and place in bright indirect light. Leaves will make a tuber from which a new shoot will sprout, while a shoot cutting will grow up and hopefully flower on its original growth. You can also self pollinate your flowers to get seed. Growing from seed is quite easy and each plant will be different in flower color pattern and doubleness. Seed ripens in about a month or two. There may be a hundred or more seed in each pod.

Jon

o

Thank you Jon for your advice. I'm so delighted to learn that gloxinia can be propagate that easily!!! Wow... I'm going to have more plants (without paying any more $$$) what a wonderful thought! Will keep you updated on the progress of my gloxinia rooting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here