Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnee0214

Recieving Strep seeds in mail... How to start them

fawnee0214
12 years ago

I ordered some strep seeds on Amazon and was wondering how to sow them. Do I need to soak them? These are my first streps and I want to grow some great ones!

Comments (6)

• User
    12 years ago

Fawnee, email me @ 4davioletman@gmail.com. There is a forum that has a file with instructions on how to the seeds. We are not allowed to promote other forums on this site. You just sign up and can access the files. No moderator approval is needed.

The instructions are from Dale Martens and Thad Scaggs both well known hybridizers.

Dave

• fawnee0214
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay! Thanks! You've got mail!

• variegatednancy1
    12 years ago

I hope you didn't put them in water!

All gesneriad seed are very tiny, dust-like.
    You can use normal AV soil less mix; but sometimes the tiny seed get lost under the perlite or vermiculite.

I use those flat discs peat pods you put into water to "inflate". I spread the wet peat in a small container and let dry out somewhat.

Crease a piece of white paper down the middle and empty the seed on the paper. You don't want to sow all the seed so gently tap on the paper until about 15-25 seed are sown. Keep the rest for another sowing.

:Do not cover the seed with soil. Cover the entire container with plastic. Write date, name or other.

Gesneriad seed germinate from 7-40 days. Keep soil mixture damp, not wet by spraying if necessary but the plastic cover should keep it moist for a while.

Bottom heat may help. Some hybridizers say light is necessary for germination, so place under lights or in window with no direct light.

Nancy

• fawnee0214
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I did not put them in water. Upon recieving them, I knew this was impossible! They've been planted for about 2 and half weeks now in store bought AV mix (so there's minimal perlite) but haven't come up yet. They're just taking their good ole time. I got them from Hirt's Gardens. I read they were reliable so I am hoping many will become my prized houseplants!

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Fawnee -

use a sprayer to rewet the surface, keep the mix barely wet.

No matter how reliable the sellers are - if the seeds are more than a year old, the viablity drops down to nothing unless they keep them in a fridge. The older the seeds, the longer they take to hatch and less hatchlings you get. Sometimes it takes months before they start showing, so do not despare yet.

Anything helps - and as Nancy mentioned - light stimulates germination - put them under the light - under the lamp. Be sure that the container is covered all the time with seran wrap or plastic cover so humidity is 100%.

Good Luck

Irina

• fawnee0214
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I may have the soil too wet. I'll daub a paper towel over the top to get rid of the excess moisture. Thank you again.