Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonoz_gw

help with achimenes in southern hem.

alisonoz_gw
19 years ago

Hi all and forgive my boldness, wandering out of the Aussie forums and across the Big Pond to the big forums.

I've been sharing Achimenes rhizomes with a friend who now is a little hooked but also thinking of trialling them for basket sale at his nursery (whenever it may open).

He has probs growing and some questions with watering and productions generally on commercial scale - can anyone help?

I chose the varieties to introduce him to these lovely plants maybe they were jut the "wrong" ones for commercial use.

think reversed seasons please and warm temperate to sub/tropical climate as we are upside down you know and a bit closer to the equator :-)

His message is-

"My production ...Achimenes ...The red color is the favorite followed by the pink. Purple comes in third place and lilac is the last on the list. have a problem with the lilac Achimenes that repeats in a lesser scale in the purple ones. After the first flowers bloom, the basket looks like going dormant. In short, it looks ugly . This does not appear to happen in the pink and red colors but only to those that are blueish. The plant has still a lot of flowers to open - too early to look like that. I am wondering if I can improve the performance of these two colors. I know that the best watering for Achimenes and other gesneriads are by capilliary . Although presently I have to water them overhead which is not the best way. My shower handling bar provides a good and soft flow of water. Right after the watering the leaves and stems bend and the basket looks less attractive. After some time the plants react and return a little bit to normal position but never return completely to that perfect look. It does not happen with the redish colors which have more thick leaves and firm stems. I am asking what should I do on the watering and nutrition to correct this small problem. I also found that the blueish colors seem to need more shade then the others. Please forward my situation to your friends and see if any good ideas comes from them.

Comments (17)

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Well, I can't say I have ever heard of cultural differences based on floral color. But, I think it may have to do with the limited number of varieties your friend is growing, in each color range. The reds may be achimenantha cvs, which are hybrids between achimenes and smithianthas, which might account for the sturdier stems. Or, they may just be superior hybrids. Some of Patrick Worley's hybrids, like 'Inferno' are that way. It has a very large red-orange flower with dark sturdy dark foliage.

I know what he means when he says that the plants colapse from the weight of the watering. I have had that too, here in dry summertime California. One thing that is recommended is to pinch the young plants several times, after they grow about 2-3 nodes. That will make a bushy plant that is fuller and more resistant to colapse. But, some varieties, especially older ones, tend to be long stemmed, that will grow upright and then fall over making a cascading plant. I would suggest he try pinching, and then watering with a very soft flow from a rose type nozzle, or growing under a misting system. Achinemes seem to do really well in warm humid summers with warm nights. One way to mass produce achimenes is to break up the rhizomes into scales and then sow them like seeds, to get many small plants, each one capable of blooming the first season. Plant up many plants or rhizomes in each basket.

Charles Lawn, in Australia, has made some beautiful achimenes hybrids.

Jon

• farang9
    13 years ago

I grow Achimenes in the tropics, and have no problems about watering. They tend to die back naturally as our rainy season (May-November) comes to an end, and restart into growth as I begin watering in Jan/Feb. Now (May 6) they are just coming into flower.

• lilypad22
    13 years ago

They are different varieties, as in all plants, some are stronger and more productive than others. I guess part of the reason there are so many varieties is that people that hybridized each of them found somthing special about them to want to name. Some need more water, less water, more sun, less sun, more shade, less shade. I have noticed some of my varieties multiply faster and grow better in baskets than do others. Some trail more and others grow more upright. Sometimes its finding what works best for them. I do know if they are allowed to dry out too often, some will go into dormancy quickler than others will. That has been my experience with them, anyway. Possibly you could contact a gesneriad society in your country and they can let you know how to contact someone that would know answers to your questions. You need growing information for your area. Kartuz Greenhouse in California sells a lot of Achimenes varieties...I don't know if Michael Kartuz could help you or not. Hope your find your answers.

tish - near Atlanta, Ga.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Tish - hi - miss ya -

looks like the question was posted 5 and some years ago. I am sure that Allison from Australia already found all the answers and since then grows the best Achimenes baskets down under.

Irina, the spoilsport

• alisonoz_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heh heh, kind of wish I could bump this posting but
    thanks indeed for all those who came in with helpful suggestions
    Correct, my question was 5 years ago. I was asking for a friend in Brazil, he eventually DID sort out the ones that made a spectacular basket for sale, from those that were pretty but only of interest to collectors. IN fact he became such an expert he started propagating from rhizome scales to increase stock.
    Once again though, many thanks to those who offered assistance.
    Alison

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Alison - sorry for misspelling your name -

a lady from Australia recently posted on gesneriphiles forum the pic of the most magnificent white Achimenes basket I ever saw. So - Achimenes grows well in Australia ;-)).

Irina

• luigi_13
    11 years ago

Hi alisonOZ,
    This is not about Achimenes, I'm actually in search of finger limes seeds, and I'm contacting you for a reply you sent to another member looking for the same.
    I would purchase seeds of various colors if you have any
    Thank you for your help!
    Luigi

• hazrah_ramkoleea
    7 years ago

Hello,

I'm Hazrah from Mauritius ( a small tropical island in the indian ocean) and would like to grow achimenes. can anyone help me to get rhizomes please?

• maryjozone5
    7 years ago

I could have sent you some cattleya rhizomes about a month or so ago. These are purple and very hearty. But now they've all been planted. I am guessing you'll have a better chance of getting rhizomes in the fall. But you could check with Kartuz Greenhouse in CA. That's where I got my first ones last year.

• hazrah_ramkoleea
    7 years ago

thks but the problem that most of the sellers do not ship to Mauiritius,

• maryjozone5
    7 years ago

could I send you some in the fall or do you have laws about receiving these from another country?

• hazrah_ramkoleea
    6 years ago

thks. but i think the shipping cost will definitely be too much. also ithink there are some laws to avoid importing new virus. we are atropicalisland witha lot of agriculture here...

thanks anyway Mary Jo

• maryjozone5
    6 years ago

that's what I was afraid of. sorry. I bet your island is a beautiful place to live with lots of gorgeous flowers. Some nursery there should bring in achimenes!

• irina_co
    6 years ago

You can try to order seeds. Hybrid Achimenes doesn't come true from seeds - but species do. Look at Achimenes mexicana. Second option - talk to the hybridizers - if you can get hybrid unnamed seeds. Look at ebay.

• Eddie van Buiten
    6 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get Achimenes rhizomes in Australia.?

• hazrah_ramkoleea
    6 years ago

hello, after lots of looking around, i think i'll try getting some achimenes rhizomes from anyone who would generously share. ill bear the cost of postage to mauritius.

will just have to see whether same can be imported/ declaredas beads or such things...