Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpus seedllings

Posted by karan_in_oregon Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 7:56

I have several streptocarpus seedlings that have their first set of true leaves.
The leaves are slightly turning under. Could they be too hot or cold? They are still in the same container they were started in and have different size seedlings. Some are still small so didn't want to disturb them. I have been hardening them off by leaving the lid off for several hours during the day. The lid does get condensation on it that I wipe off.
This is my first attempt with growing streptocarpus from seed. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Karan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpus seedllings

The sooner you repot them - the faster they will grow, tickling of the roots stimulates them. Get the bigger ones into another community pot - and just lift the rest with the fork - and drop them back. Usually the streps leaves in their young age are flat. They are going to be more upright in future.
Young ones are much tougher then the old ones, So as loing as they are not overwatered - they will be OK.

o

Irina, thank you for your help. I am putting the bigger ones in condiment cups that I bought. They are small and shallow and I can get several in each.
Karan

o

I read you need to tickle them every two weeks - either repot or just move the soil up a bit with a fork and let it back.

o

Karan,

When I start strep seeds, I usually leave them in their humid clamshell boxes until both leaves span about an inch across. At that point, you can safely move them to a less-humid spot. They seem to like lots of artificial light, and can be put into wicked pots and fed with very light fertilizer. As Irina said, you can tickle their roots every couple of weeks to get them growing faster. Once they start to grow, their growth seems to be exponential! Pretty soon you're seeing the peduncles rise out of the leaf bases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here