Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

A variety of Gessie questions

korina
18 years ago

Dumb ones at that. You'd think I'd know this stuff by now. Anyway, I have a Sinn. Tampa Bay Beauty x self, and it's rather bushy, but no flowers. There are two older stalks and one new one. I have several Sinn.s with the same issues. So:

Should there only be one stalk?

Are they heavy feeders?

Do they like bright light?

I have another Sinn., a NOID, that put out one very tall stalk; I had to move it when it started crowding the light, but the new place isn't as bright, so the internodes are longer. Also, no blooms. What do I do with it?

My Gesneria cuneifolias are sprouting (yay!). Should I start feeding them?

I have one Episcia, Silver Emblem, that's doing really well; oddly, it has three stolons loaded with plants, all on one side.

What can I do to encourage more evenly spaced stolons?

Also, the main plant has a bunch of suckers. Should I remove these and leave just the main plant, or are suckers okay? I'm not very familiar with Episcia culture. I have it with my mini AVs and it seems happy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Korina

Comments (2)

• jon_d
    18 years ago

You episcia is doing well. This time of year they often suffer, so if it is growing then you are already ahead. There is no one way to grow and episcia. But, you can't restart them too often. You can bend the stolons around and pin them to root in bare spots. Suckers are OK if they look good. An old fashioned way to grow episcias not much seen today is to grow them single crown like a violet. This can be fun but they take work, and need to be restarted or repotted often, as they get leggy. The result, however, can be a crown with very large beautiful leaves. Most grow them as multiheaded plants, removing or encouraging crowns according to what looks good. I don't know 'Silver Emblem'--it must be a newer one.

Your gesnerias--you can either feed them very weakly or wait. How's that for an unequivocal answer. It depends on what they are sprouting in. If it is a totally inert media like what I am constantly recommending then the little plants will eventually lose color and after a few months will be totally white!! Gentle feeding will encourage them to grow more quickly. Use a small itty bitty little watering can, with a narrow spout. Fill it up all the way as this pours more gently, and be careful. I would go with 1/8 tsp. of fertilizer per gallon for the first few times. They don't need much. Then let their growth and color be your guide.

Sinningias need more light than AV's and many get leggy, or naturally have strong tall stems. Good light on a light stand or a bright window. Let them grow for now, feed and build up strength. They may bud up as gawky guys, but you will get to see the flowers. The new shoots will then grow up nice and sturdy. If you have new shoots now, the old growth may shade them, in which case, use your judgement as to whether to leave on or remove.

Tampa Bay Beauty has never grown well for me, for some unknown reason. Other members of my local clubs have the same opinion. I get flowers but the leaves never look good. It is unusual in being a tetraploid large growing type sinningia, so selfings should be very much like the original. My theory on this one, is that it does much better in Florida from where it came (Small's Nursery in Tampa). I think the "Raindrops" series of hybrids came from it and they flower very nicely. My favorite sinningias tend to be the larger growing species, of which there are about 65+ in cultivation now.

Jon

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jon, thanks so much for your help.

Silver Emblem is actually quite small; it's growing happily in a 2 oz. portion cup. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I'm mat watering it; keeps the humidity up.

The Gesnerias are sprouting in 1/2" of (are you sitting down?) pure coir. So far so good. I was thinking of bottom watering it; considering the size of the sprouts (mmmm, sprouts) they're less likely to be knocked over.

Thanks for the info re: Tampa Bay Beauty. I'm going to find another home for it, let someone else deal with it.

Do all Sinns. need more light? The little 'Maiden's Blush x self' I have with my AVs looks like it's hugging the pot pretty good; it flowered once, but only a couple of stems. My Sinn. Tinkerbells is finally throwing up a flower stem! Yippee!

Do Sinns. tend to be heavy feeders or light? As in regular strength fert. ocassionally, or diluted all the time?

Oops. Gotta go catch a bus.

Thanks again for your help, Jon. Enjoy the rest of your Monday.

Korina