Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jebfarm

Prudence

jebfarm
11 years ago

Hello - here is a picture of one of my newest favorite gesneriads, Sinningia 'Prudence Risley' with some pusilla in the front because they are in bloom. Prudence likes to make lots of flowers! It is easy to care for and thrives with just the right amount of benign neglect! I read somewhere that this variety originated from a mixed packet of seed that came from the Gesneriad Society - does any one know for sure the story and background of this plant? I would like to hear it! Thanks so much.

Comments (13)

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Those are some extremely nice looking plants! Do you have any experience showing?

• jebfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the nice compliment, I have grown plants for many years, but do not show them - gesneriads are a hobby of mine, a good amount of the plants that I grow are taken to a local market where they are sold.
    I had a grandmother that was president of the African Violet Club in Cleveland Ohio during the 1970's and somewhere there is a box in the basement with her ribbons and awards she received showing her african violets. I don't show because the rules would probably consider me a professional, and the gesneriads are more for fun and enjoyment for me than anything else.
    Again if anyone knows the real 'dirt' on Prudence Risley, I would greatly appreciate hearing it. Thanks!

• carol222
    11 years ago

A question like yours might get a speedier and more detailed answer if you posted your question on Gphiles. Here's the url if you do not belong.
    -C

Here is a link that might be useful: Gphiles

• jebfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

Hey I would love a rhizome cutting or tuber from your Prudence plant if you can ever spare a piece. I've been wanting one for awhile. Would reimburse shipping or trade something got it. Please email me.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Kartuz.com has them

Great show/grow/bloom plant.

irina

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

'Prudence Risley' is an awesome Sinningia variety. I bought mine when I visited Longwood Gardens and fell for her charms.

11 years ago

Here is some color from my 'Prudence Risley' I have growing at work in my office cubicle windowsill.

• JohnnieB
    11 years ago

I don't know the exact parentage but 'Prudence Risley' did NOT come from a packet of mixed seed. It resulted from a controlled cross by a very talented gesneriad hybridizer, Jim Steuerlein.

• Jannich
    11 years ago

Prudence Risley is a beauty.Thank you all for sharing pictures of your gessies.I love seeing what others are growing..

Jan

11 years ago

Hi Jan, I love this one. It grows and flowers with little input from me and I get piles of flowers from it. It's awesome!

• jebfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

- Glad that everyone enjoyed the post, I did find the parentage of Prudence Risley on the Gphiles site, the talented hybridizer that created this plant also has a sister to Prudence - Prusis - but I don't think it has gotten into circulation yet. It is a beauty too!
    Here is a picture of Prusis.

• JohnnieB
    11 years ago

I re-checked and the OP was partially right. The PARENTS of 'Prudence Risley' both came from mixed seeds. One parent was a lavender S. speciosa hybrid and the other was an 'Apricot Bouquet'-like plant. Jim crossed those two plants and got 'Prudence Risley'.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz