Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petrocosmea Soil Mix

Posted by bloomnbillviolet (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 12:33

What is the soiless mix ratio that you use (ingredients)for any Petrocosmea? Do you use dolomite in the mix and/or granite grit? Has anybody used Supersphag in the mix or rinsed coir?
BloomnBill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petrocosmea Soil Mix

BloomnBill,

I use a regular 1:1:1. I heard people add extra dolomite.
I am afraid that however well the coir is rinsed - it will still have some salt plus when it starts falling apart, it actually inhibits the growth. Our Korina used coir - and then she started having problems - so she investigated the subject thoroughly - I think coir is something to use for the basket lining of annuals, not for inside plants.

I didn't try any sphagnum on it, should be OK except that it can add to the acidity of the mix. So may be dolomite can be of advantage in this case too.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here