Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyal

How to propogate

BeverlyAL
19 years ago

I grow mainly gesneriads, however I'm not plant trained so I'm not sure if I'm about to ask about a gesneriad or not. I have a Aeschynathus Radicans which needs to be restarted. Can someone tell me how to do it please?

Comments (4)

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Yep, its a gessie.

Also, it is easy to propagate. You can go the traditional way to root the slightly harder gesneriads:

Take cuttings of approx. 3 nodes, pot in a mix of perlite and vermiculite, two nodes (leaves removed) in the mix and one with the leaves left on above the mix, enclose in a ziplock bag and put under lights. That works well for most plants, gesneriad or not.

Or, you can go to the easier method for easy to root plants--take cuttings and plant them in a pot of regular potting mix and root them uncovered on a light stand. They are quite tolerant, and will root in the open. You might see a few leaves drop or shrivel but chances are, they will root without dropping leaves or dying.

Or, you can go with the really easy and more fool proof way to root cuttings of easy things--put the cuttings in water and root them on a bright window sill. Aeschynanthus and nematanthus root well in water, though I like to use one of the two above methods.

When they are rooted I like to pot up a 4" pot with lots of cuttings--such as four to ten. Then when they are really well rooted I move them up to a larger pot. By planting lots of cuttings together you get a really nice and full pot.

Jon

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh Jon, thank you so much! To me it didn't look like something that would root so easy but it definitely sounds like it will!

• cyberstryder10
    17 years ago

I am tring to propogate red tip shrubs. PLEASE help me in my year long search for answers.
    Thank You.

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Hi Cyberstryder,

There is a special forum on GardenWeb that deals with plant propagation.

To know how to propagate a plant you need to find out what exactly is your red tipped shrub. I checked in the net - and it is possibly Photinia. Looks like it can be grown from cuttings.

Here is the link you can use - and they have Photinia on their list.

Good luck with your propagation efforts.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant propagation