Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propogate

Posted by BeverlyAL 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 05 at 14:51

I grow mainly gesneriads, however I'm not plant trained so I'm not sure if I'm about to ask about a gesneriad or not. I have a Aeschynathus Radicans which needs to be restarted. Can someone tell me how to do it please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propogate

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 7, 05 at 16:44

Yep, its a gessie.

Also, it is easy to propagate. You can go the traditional way to root the slightly harder gesneriads:

Take cuttings of approx. 3 nodes, pot in a mix of perlite and vermiculite, two nodes (leaves removed) in the mix and one with the leaves left on above the mix, enclose in a ziplock bag and put under lights. That works well for most plants, gesneriad or not.

Or, you can go to the easier method for easy to root plants--take cuttings and plant them in a pot of regular potting mix and root them uncovered on a light stand. They are quite tolerant, and will root in the open. You might see a few leaves drop or shrivel but chances are, they will root without dropping leaves or dying.

Or, you can go with the really easy and more fool proof way to root cuttings of easy things--put the cuttings in water and root them on a bright window sill. Aeschynanthus and nematanthus root well in water, though I like to use one of the two above methods.

When they are rooted I like to pot up a 4" pot with lots of cuttings--such as four to ten. Then when they are really well rooted I move them up to a larger pot. By planting lots of cuttings together you get a really nice and full pot.

Jon

o

Oh Jon, thank you so much! To me it didn't look like something that would root so easy but it definitely sounds like it will!

o

I am tring to propogate red tip shrubs. PLEASE help me in my year long search for answers.
Thank You.

o

Hi Cyberstryder,

There is a special forum on GardenWeb that deals with plant propagation.

To know how to propagate a plant you need to find out what exactly is your red tipped shrub. I checked in the net - and it is possibly Photinia. Looks like it can be grown from cuttings.

Here is the link you can use - and they have Photinia on their list.

Good luck with your propagation efforts.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant propagation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here