Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aeschynanthus 'Thai Pink'

Posted by snappyguy 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 18:11

I have an Aeschynanthus 'Thai Pink' that I started from a cutting in July. It has grown well with one vine being 2' long, and two others are at least a foot long. I have noticed on one of these foot-long vines that the leaves are not growing in pairs, but rather in 3's. Has anyone had this plant, or any Aeschynanthus for that matter do this? I'm interested to hear if this is a common occurrence, or if this is a real rarity.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aeschynanthus 'Thai Pink'

Mutant Lipstick!

Is it the one Violet Barn sells? It is gorgeous!

i.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Pink

o

It's the same variety the Violet Barn sells. I got my cutting from a person in my local african violet club during our "leaf bingo" games this past summer. It's strange to me that most of the plant is normal, and one branch has gone haywire.

o

I got this one from Merrifield Garden Center in Virginia and it is so adorable.

Pepper's Greenhouse (online in Delaware) sells this also.

Susan

o
RE: Aeschynanthus

Anyone know how big these plants get before they should bloom? I have "Tiger Stripe" from the Violet Barn. It puts out new leaves but no blooms yet. It is still small but I've had it for at least a year. Maybe it needs more light?

Tricia

o

Tricia - you got it right - they need to mature before they start - but after they start blooming they will not stop. Yes - I think they can take more light than AVs - so hang it on your east window so it can get morning sun. They do good in a natural light.

I.

o

My Thai Pink is almost exactly a year old, 3 feet long, 15 or so branches and hasn't bloomed yet. My Mona Lisa is preparing to re-bloom, so it does seem to be a maturity issue. Both of the plants are in the sane window.

o
RE: Aeschynanthus

Thanks, I'll see if I can get it more light so it will hurry and grow up faster! Want to see those blooms : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here