Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
achimenes

Posted by greylady-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 20:07

Hello all, I am visiting this forum for the first time. I am normally on several others here on GW but I have been searching for a Canadian source for achimenes, and I was hoping that someone here would be able to direct me to one.....please :)
Any of the sites that I have found so far are in the US and UK and don't ship to foreign countries. I find it hard to believe that it is not available in Canada, so surely there has to be a source.
TIA
gg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: achimenes

I'm looking for USA sources. Email me if you know where I can get corms here in the states. Thanks!

o

Parks seeds has them: also known as 'cupid's bower'. The link to the page they are on is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ahimenes page

o

Hi GG

Unfortunately, it seems that all the Canadian sources of gesneriads in general is drying up. Where are you located? I got a couple of achimenes rhizomes from Bill Price in Vancouver. I've seen some no-names available at the spring sales of my hort society. They don't seem to be widely grown or distributed anymore.

If you're still looking for rhizomes in the fall, I should be harvesting rhizomes from Purple King then.

BTW the American Gesneriad Society convention is going to be held in Vancouver in 2010. It would be a great place to pick up plants. There's a sales room and an auction. But bring lots of money for the auction...

o

Maureen, I sent you an e-mail through GW. If you don't get it let me know--my e-mail is on my page.
gg

o

Brent and Becky's Bulbs have a limited selection.

o

I've found achimenes tubers on ebay. Looks like the primary seller is Willowcreekgardens. You can either buy through ebay or their website, willowcreekgardens.com
They appear to be a good reliable source as their feedback is perfect. I'm currently bidding on some of theirs. Hopefully I'll win some.

o

Thanks milwdave and tmelrose, but I have checked them out and they don't ship to Canada. I guess if I lived in the States I could get them easily enough but for some reason they are extremely hard to come by in Canada! :)
gg

o

Well that stinks. If I ever win an auction of them I'll save you one and get your address to send you one.

o

I have achimenes, and can send you some for the price of postage and handling, roughly US$2.50. Is it too late in the season for you?

If you write to me directly, please put the word 'achimenes' in the subject line and allow several days for me to reply...

Thanks,

--Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here