Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chhe_gw

Question

chhe
18 years ago

Hi,

I recently purchased a streptocarpus 'falling stars' and I planted it in a 5-6 inch pot with soil ammended with approximately 40% perlite. The problem is that I have been waiting for it to begin growing and my observations have been that it isn't doing much. One of the leaves died and another one that looked to be extremely healthy when I first got it is beginning to die. Its turning a brown color at the tip of the leaf and its making its way backwards. What could be causing this?

Comments (5)

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

It could be that you are keeping the plant too dry for too long. 40% Perlite is causing some super fast drainage, I'd bet. I wouldn't repot it just now, but keep the soil evenly moist, but NOT WET. What kind of soil did you use, BTW?

• irina_co
    18 years ago

Chhe - hi,

I do not agree with Growhappy - you hardly can kill the streps with drying or with too much perlite. Just the opposite. Too big of a pot can cause excessive moisture as well.

If your strep is dry - the leaves will droop - if the soil is dry. If they droop and the soil is wet -it is a root rot.

The ends of the leaf getting brown - too wet and too deep planted. WHen you repot it - you should keep the roots to leaves joint (sorry for non technical description) on a surface - God forbid to bury it. The plant should be looking like a king of the hill - so the center should be above the edges.

Otherwise - keep it barely moist - just barely - and you need to chop off the brown tip of the leaf with scissors. It will stop the infection and in my opinion stimulate the plant a bit.

Good luck

Irina

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Streps do pretty well in the house in winter. They are less aware of the seasons. But, they are summer growers that naturally stop growth in winter. So, be patient. It may be a seasonal situation. Give it good light, such as under lights. If you over-potted it, then be careful with watering. Let it dry a bit between watering. Try to keep it on the cool side, with good light. Don't feed it until you see it growing. Then feed very lightly. Of course, if you are using a packaged potting mix that contains added fertilizer then don't feed it. Once you get some experience growing streps they will be easier to understand. But, at first, their actions can be mysterious.

Jon

• Mayflyon
    18 years ago

Hi you got some good advice here. You strep should have adjusted to your growing conditions and showing new growth in March or end of Feb. in zone 6. Best of luck!

• Southernwood
    18 years ago

I agree with what Irina said, and would encourage you to repot it sooner rather than later if you hope to save it, into a mix that is more like 50% or more perlite. And, "like she said" on potting streps level or a tiny bit raised rather than deeper.

Just about all plants prone to root rot are more susceptible when growth is slower, like in winter. I am in NJ, and growth of my streps and other plants is just starting to pick up a bit in response to increasing daylight (even the stuff mainly under lights that also get a little indirect window light). As growth picks up, they get less picky on the watering and life gets easier.
    southernwood