Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streps in Hawaii

Posted by maui_jen none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 2:20

I successfully cared for Streps when I lived in Montana; now I am on Maui and recently ordered six babies from Dennis @ Neil's Streps on ebay. So far they are doing fine in our slightly cooler "winter' temps, but I am concerned how they will deal with 85+ degrees in the summer. They live outside under a semi-filtered sunshade and are quite happy with their readjustment to a new climate; one has even begun to flower though the blooms look stunted and a little deformed.

I am researching different watering techniques (I usually water from the top just when they show signs of wilting) and will probably try out wick-watering or plastic Oyama pots, as sometimes I am away for a few days.

Does anyone have thoughts of the best care for them when the the temperature goes up? I'm not sure but I think humidity is probably around 70-80%.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streps in Hawaii

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:39

Wow, you made it to tropical heaven from the frozen tundra! Enjoy the environment, it was 19 degrees F this morning in Wilmington Delaware!

o

I have grown streps here in CT in a greenhouse where temps reached 95-105 during the summer months with success. The humidity was 70-80%. The key to growing them is not to let them dry too much and there is air movement.

My greenhouse was in direct sun so I shaded it with a tarp year round. If you continue to grow them in semi filtered sunlight they should be fine as long as they do not receive too much sun during the hottest part of the day. I always top water my streps.

Dave

o

@gerris2 - That is exactly why I relocated!

@davioletman - Thank you for your input! I will go forward with great faith they will thrive. I'm planning to build a new larger plant shelf (they are growing quickly) backed with sun shade material to protect from the strong sun from the west. I have always top watered also, but will try a few with wicks to see how they do if I'm away for too many days at a time. Humidity should be around what you have, and plenty of air flow. Mahalo!

o

Lucky Maui_Jen -

I read the recommendation to "double-pot" streps - get the bigger clay pot - and put the strep pot in this clay pot with empty space between the pots filled with some kind of absorbent material - like sphagnum moss- and keep this absorbent material wet- the evaporation through the clay pot pores will keep the inner pot cooler and streptocarpus plant - happier.

I.

o

Thank you Irina! I ordered a few of the Oyama pots the other day, so I can experiment with several different methods. I appreciate your information! Brilliant! I'm adding it to my notebook.

o

Yes- I had major trouble growing Columnea citrina - probably the same issue - needs it cooler and more humid - and I was advised to wrap a root ball in a sphagnum moss - and pot it like this - and it sure grows better.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here