Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonygnome

Old Gloxinia

moonygnome
17 years ago

Question for Gloxinia lovers... I have two very old Gloxinias, one is dark pink and the other is dark blue. They both are old... one is about 8 years old and the other is 6. Tubers are huge.. about the size of my fist. They both going dormant around end of November and I keep them under the bathroom sink in the dark... right now they woke up and I see tiny leaves showin so I moved them out. They normally are very close to the window and it is South side, plenty of sun.

Now, my question here... they are having less and less flowers every year. And more, the flowers are getting smaller in size and really leggy and droopy. In fact, the blooms are so leggy and droopy, they are hanging from the pot just like laundry from the cloth line :-(( And, of course, I fertilize them... and I believe they are having a good winter rest... Nothing like they used to be... tons of flowers and huge and perky. My grandma used to have Gloxinias, and hers were REALLY old... her oldest was more then 10 years old, and had up to 60-70 blooms.. so I know, the AGE is not an issue here.. In fact, I would expect them to be getting bigger and better...

So, whats the PROBLEM??? HELP!!!

Moon

Comments (3)