Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumble_bee_gw

Nautilocalyx

bumble_bee
19 years ago

How do you grow nautilocalyx? Mine are not doing too well. I tried them in a window, under lights, closer to the lights, covered, in a bag, not covered and nothing seems to work. They survive but lower leaves shrivel and eventually fall. A couple decided to bloom but they don't look happy. What are their specific needs?

Comments (7)

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Each one is a little different. Which ones do you grow or have tried in the past?? Some need terrariums, others are fine on the open in AV type lighting. I find them to be easy if given even care. But, I tend to go through periods where they get neglected, so my once largish collection of the nauty's has declined. Generally they like episcia conditions. Think of them as low elevation tropicals. They like good to high humidity and warm conditions. Most are grown primarily for their foliage but some have really beautiful flowers. They are very easy to propagate either by leaves or small stem cuttings. I would suggest you start some plants as backup as well as for experimenting with under different conditions. I root them in perlite/vermiculite enclosed in a ziplock or under a dome, and under lights, of course. They also root very easily in long fiber sphagnum moss. Looking forward to hearing about which ones you are growing,

Jon

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. I have:
    Carribean Pink
    glandulifer
    melittifolius
    pictus Lightning

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Okay. I've grown em all, though not currently. Carribean Pink and melitiifolius do not need enclosures. They are like a carribean roadside weed compared to the other ones. They grow fast and have flowers all year long. Grow them like an episcia--under lights or on a bright windowsill. They will grow fairly large if not pruned. I have a newer one that is like these that was found in a botanical garden in Sweeden, called sp. 'Goteburg'. It has shot up about four feet. I need to do something about it. 'Carrribean Pink' grows more horizontal that upright.

Glandulifer grows best when enclosed but can be grown out in the open--at least in summertime. It has such beautiful leaves. I don't think it needs much light. Pictus is a beauty too. It is best grown enclosed. I had a very nice one in a terrarium until I forgot to water it and it dried out. Root leaves of it for backups!

Jon

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Jon. I will put them on the same shelf as the episcias. The episcias are doing very well. I bought tall domes like those you mentionned in a previous thread and they love it. Some grow without domes too but the more fragile varieties and the little ones (rooted stolons) enjoy the high humidity the domes provide.
    My nautilocalyx are still very small. I can't believe some will reach 4'! They're still in 2 1\2" pots. Also, I think that they didn't enjoy growing on window sills because it was too cold for them. I didn't know they were more like episcias.

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Actually many of the nautilocalyx were once episcias. Back in the 1970's they were moved into their own genus, so there is a close relationship though I don't think there have ever been any successful hybrids. I have a small plant of N. cordatus, which in the 60's and 70's was known as Episcia hirsuta.

Jon

• county_girl
    19 years ago

Hi, are these haRD TO GROW AND DO YOU PUT YOURS UNDER LIGHTS, THANKS

• bumble_bee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I grow them under lights but they're hard to grow anyway.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz