Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Couple of Ges. questions

korina
17 years ago

1. Does anyone know of a member of the Gesneriad family that is native to Laos?

2. Why is my Aeschynanthus radicans (lobbianus, evidently) happy anf full but not flowering? Also, it's crown variegated; are there many varieties that are?

Hurriedly, Korina

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Korina - hi

2. I have a crown variegated A. radicans - came from HD. One of our ladies brought a significantly variegated A. radicans with a leaf variegation - also no name from the nursery - and stole the show.

In my humble experience - I bet Jon_D, who abandonded us, hopefully temporary, has them growing on his porch... - in any case - looks like they like a lot of natural light, being potbound, let them dry - plus it is certain time of the year they bloom, not all the time, yes - and they bloom when they are mature.

Light wise - - again in my experience - they are just behind the nematanthus - that blooms when it has practically direct sunlight.

I.

PS 1. - Are you going to spend your vacation in Laos?
    I bet Aeschynanthus grows there and some exotics we do not have - since it it is a part of a South-East Asia...
    Check gesneriads.ca gallery and may be write directly to Ron Myhr, he knows all.

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Irina. I picked mine up at a drug store; I figured it was something common. It's still neat.

I suspected it was the season; but annoyingly, due to geography and the structure of the building it's in, the only direct sunlight this plant gets is during the winter. When it's cold and overcast a lot (as opposed to summer, when it's cool and frequently overcast).

Nope, not going to Laos, just checking. Near as I could tell from the gesneriads.ca, there's nothing in S-E Asia. Interesting, as they seem to be everywhere else.

Korina, eagerly looking forward to my three-day weekend

• irina_co
    17 years ago

Korina -

Here is the the link - type Laos - and you will find tons of gesneriads.

have a nice weekend
    irina

Here is a link that might be useful: wolrd checklist of Gesneriaceae

• korina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Irina, thanks; it's in my favorites. I cross-referenced it with the Gesneriad Reference Web and came up with some dang purty pictures.

Korina

• perlite
    17 years ago

You're right that Aeschynanthus is a seasonal bloomer, but I think you're also right that this is the season. I have some Nematanthus (Lessee, I think 4 or 5 species and varieties) and am not getting blooms, and it's frustrating. They're in a south window, with some filtering to the light. I think I don't give enough fertilizer.
    Stick with GRW, it's great!
    I'm not sure about Laotian gessies. Wonder if some Chirita are from there...
    Hope I am of some help.
    perL