Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alsobias vs. episcia

Posted by robitaillenancy1 zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 06 at 15:49

Do you know the date when two episcia species were first put into the new genus Alsobia. Information is so scanty even on the internet concerning Alsobia.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alsobias vs. episcia

• Posted by jon_d Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 1:08

From "The Miracle Houseplants" I found that Hans Wiehler proposed the transfer of two species of episcia (dianthiflora and punctata) to Alsobia in 1979. Around 1990 a new species of alsobia was discovered that does not make stolons. It is known as Alsobia sp. 'Chiapas'.

From the Episcia Register: "The genus Alsobia based on A. punctata, was established in 1854 by Johannes...von Hanstein.." In 1865 Hanstein included the genus along with six other genera in the genus Episcia. In 1978 Hans Wiehler re-established the genus with the two species.

I recommend finding and buying both The Miracle Houseplant" and the Episcia Register. The latter can be ordered from the Gesneriad Society.

Jon

o

Thanks very much, Jon.
Nancy

o

Do these plants (Alsobias) need to be pot bound to bloom?

o

I think they are seasonal. Bloom once a year. Out of several Alsobias I have the most floriferous is a hybrid one - "Cygnet" - after it reaches maturity - it blooms all the time but not abundantly. Probably if I remove the evergrowing stolons - it will bloom more.

All gesneriads need to be slightly potbound.

I.

o

I have the aforementioned Alsobia sp. USBRG 1994-005 'Chiapas', and it is seasonal. It likes being pot bound, and a short period of drought in winter is good as well. It undergoes this in nature, loses some leaves, and when water returns begins growing new branches and begins to flower. They are extremely frilly (fimbriate) flowers, white, with small pinkish dots. It's an upright grower that does not produce stolons. Mine is about 12" tall at the moment, but only 6" wide or so.

o

I bought a alsobia Cygnet and it is not very happy as I would like it to be, it produces stolons but not many flowers.

email me :alobo01@hotmail,com

o

Sounds like it is OK. The do not produce very many flowers, so enjoy every one. Try to pinch the new stolons as soon as they emerge - to direct energy towards bloom.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here