Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Streptocarpus Party Girl

larry_b
19 years ago

Hi,

This steptocarpus was the most popular strep to show at the Denver violet show. I did not show this, which is evident by the touch of brown on one leaf, but it is the first time it has bloomed for me and I wanted to show it off.

Larry

Party Girl:

{{gwi:832025}}

Comments (15)

• Motezuma
    19 years ago

Beautiful! Do you know what caused that brown spot? Some of my streps have them too and I'm not sure what causes it.

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Mo,

Streptocarpus just seem to get brown spots or brown edges. People just cut out the brown with scissors. I didn't notice it before hand. Ooops. I probably should have done that before taking a picture. This is even what show people do. As I understand it it is acceptable to trim leaves before a show.

Larry

• Cat_Gal
    19 years ago

Hi Larry,

Beautiiiful Strep you've got there! Party girl is one of my favorite varieties. How does she grow for you? A good bloomer?

If you trim the brown spot, will it spread? I know with other houseplants, trimming would not be a solution to get rid of the brown.

-Cat

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the compliment. Party Girl is a cutie. Cutting the brown spots off doesn't seem to brown up the leaf right away. The leaves last a little while. I am having trouble remembering. I haven't trimmed a strep for a while now. Usually if there are plenty of leaves I just take the leaf off.

I am not sure how she flowers as these are her first blooms. It does seem like a very robust plant though. I have not had any trouble with it and it has grown very well for me ever since I bought it as a young plant.

Larry

• myviolets
    19 years ago

Larry,
    I love Bristol's Part Girl and grow it too. Your plant is Beautiful! even with a little brown, we all have some somewhere on some of our plants.
    Thank You,
    Nancy

• calla_lady
    19 years ago

VERY, VERY pretty Larry! I have not collected Streps for years but seeing your pics makes me think about ordering some. Terrible tempatation around here!
    ~Alicia

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Alicia,

Thank you. I think the plant is doing very well for its first booming. Sorry if it is too tempting for you. There could be worse temptations. I think streptocarpus are something that every violet person should have at least one of. I certainly have been bitten by the strep bug. Eight months ago I had two streptocarpus, now I have eight.

Larry

• Motezuma
    19 years ago

See, I'm of the firm belief that every strep person should have at least one violet! Ha!

-Mo

• User
    19 years ago

Very lovely, Larry. I also grow Party Girl. She's a very reliable fantasy for me, never even one bloom that didn't have strong fantasy. Have you seen pics of the new Party Boy? Here's a pic of my Party Girl:

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Nikki,

Thank you. That is quite an operation you have there. You have some very nice and healthy looking streps. Your party girl is looking very fine. Could you tell me the name of the streptocarpus that is in the upper right portion of the picture?

No, I have not seen Party Boy yet. You have peaked my interest. I will now have to go out onto the Web and find one to look at.

Larry

• larry_b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nikki,

I was just on Rob's violets web site and saw a blossom of Party Boy. It is really fabulous! Since it is such a large growing plant I would never be able to grow it under my light stands. So many streps and so little space. It is nice to see it though.

Larry

• Motezuma
    19 years ago

I'm guessing the other strep is Bristol's X-ray Vision. Am I right, Nikki?

I'd love to have Party Boy.

-Mo

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

The spot on the leaf of Larry's plant is because the leaf is aging. You can trim off the brown. The leaf will continue, slowly to deteriorate because that is the way streps grow. As it dies another leaf will take its place and the new leaf can produce flower stems. Likely this leaf will not be producing any more flowers. So the object is to get as many new leaves as you can get since they will produce the flower stems.

Nancy

• User
    19 years ago

Mo, it's not X-Ray vision, but good guess. I have X-Ray Vision, actually. There are now a number of purple flowers with white spotting. But this one is a lighter purple than X-Ray Vision (or Leopard's Skin, or Serius, or Museum of Art for that matter). It's Bristol's Moon Mist, which also looks a lot like Magnetosphere, I think. All of them are purple with white spotting, though I think Museum of Art's different shades are the most dramatic. I'd love to see that patterning in different colors like pink or light blue.

i'm going to post a pic of the streptocarpus fish in the gallery.

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Nikki, I came back to these fabulous pics of Party Girl. Mine is now blooming, and it doesn't have anywhere near the fantasy yours does. Mine's a lot more like Larry's. Makes me pout a bit, not that it isn't lovely as it is...

Anyone have any ideas on this?

-Mo (WV)