Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

micro mini sinningia basic culture--advice please?

rredbbeard
10 years ago

I seem to be sinningia-challenged, and now maybe I need to go back to the basics of culture here because my various mini sinns don't seem happy with the conditions I'm providing. I have s.pusilla, White Sprite, and s.muscicola, which are in shoebox-size plastic containers with good lids. I grew most of these from seed, and they seemed happy and produced flowers and seeds without a problem at first. When summer started, they all stopped flowering at about the same time, or the flowers wouldn't set seed, which I regarded as heat related (often ~80-83*F in my house during summer), and I didn't worry about it because the plants and tubers seemed otherwise ok. They never really came back strongly though, and I've tried multiple variations of temperature, humidity, light, etc. My original potting mixture was miracle grow AV medium, with a little more perlite and chopped sphagnum mixed in. I feel like Seymor: " I've tried you at levels of moisture/From desert to mud/I've given you grow lights and mineral supplements/What do you want from me, blood?" lol

I have a single s.concinna that bloomed its head off for the first two months I had it, and now it's just a mass of nice green leaves. :-/

Suggestions? Is there really a seasonal slowdown for these due to heat?

I'm going to try a very loose medium of 50-60% chopped long fiber sphagnum mixed with MG cactus mix and a little perlite to see what happens. What have I missed?

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor