Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have sinningia 'White Sprite' seeds?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 8:28

I'm putting this in swaps too, but thought this forum might be more direct. If you have a seed pod available, check out my trade list and let me know.

Thanks!

--Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have sinningia 'White Sprite' seeds?

Hello Rick -

I have a couple terrariums with Sinningia White Sprite blooming now, within the next couple of months there will be ripe seeds - if you can wait that long! You can have any or all of the seeds when they are ready - I'm not interested in a trade - I work for a commercial seed company and grow plant material for market - there is too much going on here as it is and the season has barely begun!
I will let you know when the seed is ready to go.

P.S. Many years ago I grew a nice collection of Pleione species and hybrids and saw that you are interested in them too - they are amazing little orchids! One of the few orchids I have now is Coelogyne cristata, which is supposed to be a member of the Pleione tribe - somehow related but different, one of my favorites.

- Jeb

o

Hey Jeb! Could you email me at my yahoo addy?

Thanks!

--Rick

RRedBBeard@yahoo.com

o

I am also intersted in white spirit seeds.I have some sinningia rio das pedras (can't think of the new name right now.
Thanks for any help.Jan

o

Jeb,

I tried to email you but I couldn't. I am trying to find episcia seeds. (Any variety) Do you happen to know where I could purchase some??

Thanks!

-Teisa

o

Question to the White Sprite growers-

Sinningia White Sprite is a white clone of Sinningia pusilla. Will the seedlings reverse to regular blue pusilla? Anybody tried to sow them?

Teisa - there are probably species Episcia seeds in Gesneriad Society seed fund - you need to be a member to get them - but membership is not that expensive -and benefits are good.

The hybrids - different varieties - are never sold as seeds - only as starters and cuttings - because hybrids do not reproduce true. But again - the Fund can have seeds of crosses and sometimes you can get crosses seeds on ebay.

Otherwise - you can order plants from commercial growers.
Violetbarn, LyndonLyon, Out of Africa - or - get them on ebay.

Good Luck

irina

o

Irina -

S. pusilla alba (White Sprite) grows 100% true from seed.

Jan - Teisa - I do not have any seed or plants available - good luck with your search.

Jeb

o

Jeb -

that's cool!

I sowed another white form of Sinningia - S. cardinalis "Innocent" - and it came true also.

Irina

o

Irene & Jeb

Thanks for your information on hybrids. I did not know that the seeds do not produce true to form. I buy plants on eBay and Violet Barn and I've never ran across any seeds for sale. My mother is wanting to try growing them from seed. I posted a picture of her episcia that is 15 years old on another post!!
I think I will try joining the Gesneriads Society. Thanks for the info.

o

Irene & Jeb

Thanks for your information on hybrids. I did not know that the seeds do not produce true to form. I buy plants on eBay and Violet Barn and I've never ran across any seeds for sale. My mother is wanting to try growing them from seed. I posted a picture of her episcia that is 15 years old on another post!!
I think I will try joining the Gesneriads Society. Thanks for the info.

o

Yep - a very large plant - looked like Episcia cupreata to me.

Gesneriad seeds rarely sold to the public because the are very minuscule and require extra care to raise. The are not like pumpkins - they do not have too much resources stored - so the seedlings are very small, cannot grow in the open and require babying.

There are so many gorgeous hybrids that reproduce by cuttings - your mother will be very excited.

I posted the link to the internet store that carries good selection.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Gary Mikita site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here