Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Anyone have sinningia 'White Sprite' seeds?

rredbbeard
11 years ago

I'm putting this in swaps too, but thought this forum might be more direct. If you have a seed pod available, check out my trade list and let me know.

Thanks!

--Rick

Comments (10)

• jebfarm
    11 years ago

Hello Rick -

I have a couple terrariums with Sinningia White Sprite blooming now, within the next couple of months there will be ripe seeds - if you can wait that long! You can have any or all of the seeds when they are ready - I'm not interested in a trade - I work for a commercial seed company and grow plant material for market - there is too much going on here as it is and the season has barely begun!
    I will let you know when the seed is ready to go.

P.S. Many years ago I grew a nice collection of Pleione species and hybrids and saw that you are interested in them too - they are amazing little orchids! One of the few orchids I have now is Coelogyne cristata, which is supposed to be a member of the Pleione tribe - somehow related but different, one of my favorites.

- Jeb

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jeb! Could you email me at my yahoo addy?

Thanks!

--Rick

RRedBBeard@yahoo.com

• Jannich
    10 years ago

I am also intersted in white spirit seeds.I have some sinningia rio das pedras (can't think of the new name right now.
    Thanks for any help.Jan

• teisa
    10 years ago

Jeb,

I tried to email you but I couldn't. I am trying to find episcia seeds. (Any variety) Do you happen to know where I could purchase some??

Thanks!

-Teisa

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Question to the White Sprite growers-

Sinningia White Sprite is a white clone of Sinningia pusilla. Will the seedlings reverse to regular blue pusilla? Anybody tried to sow them?

Teisa - there are probably species Episcia seeds in Gesneriad Society seed fund - you need to be a member to get them - but membership is not that expensive -and benefits are good.

The hybrids - different varieties - are never sold as seeds - only as starters and cuttings - because hybrids do not reproduce true. But again - the Fund can have seeds of crosses and sometimes you can get crosses seeds on ebay.

Otherwise - you can order plants from commercial growers.
    Violetbarn, LyndonLyon, Out of Africa - or - get them on ebay.

Good Luck

irina

• jebfarm
    10 years ago

Irina -

S. pusilla alba (White Sprite) grows 100% true from seed.

Jan - Teisa - I do not have any seed or plants available - good luck with your search.

Jeb

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Jeb -

that's cool!

I sowed another white form of Sinningia - S. cardinalis "Innocent" - and it came true also.

Irina

• teisa
    10 years ago

Irene & Jeb

Thanks for your information on hybrids. I did not know that the seeds do not produce true to form. I buy plants on eBay and Violet Barn and I've never ran across any seeds for sale. My mother is wanting to try growing them from seed. I posted a picture of her episcia that is 15 years old on another post!!
    I think I will try joining the Gesneriads Society. Thanks for the info.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Irene & Jeb

Thanks for your information on hybrids. I did not know that the seeds do not produce true to form. I buy plants on eBay and Violet Barn and I've never ran across any seeds for sale. My mother is wanting to try growing them from seed. I posted a picture of her episcia that is 15 years old on another post!!
    I think I will try joining the Gesneriads Society. Thanks for the info.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Yep - a very large plant - looked like Episcia cupreata to me.

Gesneriad seeds rarely sold to the public because the are very minuscule and require extra care to raise. The are not like pumpkins - they do not have too much resources stored - so the seedlings are very small, cannot grow in the open and require babying.

There are so many gorgeous hybrids that reproduce by cuttings - your mother will be very excited.

I posted the link to the internet store that carries good selection.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Gary Mikita site

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz