Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Streptocarpella--Snowflake, variegated questions

chloeasha
11 years ago

Hi! Is anyone growing Snowflurry*? I just got it from Taylor's and I noticed already it looks different from my NOID blue one. Flowers and leaves are smaller, and it seems more leafy. I'd like to hear from other growers!

Also, I saw there is a variegated variety, but I can't find a source. Any ideas?

Thanks!

* I just realized I looked at my tag wrong! Slowflurry it is!

This post was edited by julianna on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 14:59

Comments (12)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Julianna - as far as I know - there are at least 2 variegated Streptocarpellas - one is "Blueberry & Cream' - it is golden crown variegated sport of probably "Concord". It is easy to grow. And a variegated Streptocarpella saxorum - this is hard. It always tries to go 100% variegated and die.
    S. saxorum is available at Taylor's. Keep an eye on Violetbarn.com. They carry variegated Streptocarpella - but right now they are out of stock. When a next batch of cuttings will be rooted - they post it again.

There are several Streptocarpella species - and multiple hybrids originated from these species. So it is no surprise that named plants look different not only in flowers but in foliage and growth habit.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Streptocarpus subgenus Streptocarpella

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes! Blueberries and Cream is the one I ran across. I didn't see it at VB, taylor's Karutz, etc so I wasn't sure if it was available anywhere. I'll keep my eye out then,

Thanks for the answer about the different habits. I was somewhat surprised, but figured it was just due to my own ignorance about them. The first bloom to open is blushed ever-so-slightly with blue. Very lovely.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I am thinking that white flower is not a result of hybridization, but sporting. So far all species and hybrids are different shades of purplish blue. One of the best ever - good growing habit and heavy bloomer - is "Sparkles" - Kartuz usually carries it.

I.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bloom-wise, it's looking like Streptocarpus kirkii-- or at least the photo from your link. It is mostly white though. Foliage is small-- leaves are maybe 1cm across. Very finely fuzzed. Very cute!

My NOID Streptocarpella looks more like "Concord Blue." Leaves are probably about an inch or a bit more across.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I think Concord is the easiest to grow - it is a unruly fast growing weed.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine quickly grew from a small 4" rooted cutting to a 12" dome of foliage with flowers obviously even further out. Lovely. I've been taking cuttings and plan on making several new plants this year. it was a workhorse on my balcony!

• John Spagnoli
    11 years ago

Julianna,

Sound like a wonderful plant. Do you have any pollen available for trade?

John

• irina_co
    11 years ago

John - it won't take on Streptocarpus.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

John, i do but as I mentioned in your e-mail about Snowflurry and as Irina just confirmed, it won't cross pollinate with your streptocarpus.

Irina-- I corrected my original post-- I just peeked at my tag and realized it's "Snowflurry." Sorry for the mistake! I put it in a new pot today, and have set it and all my tender perennials outside. No frost for the next 10 days, so spring may be here. Majority nights are in the 40s.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the lone flower of Snowflurry. i have several teeny buds, so more are on the way.

{{gwi:838}}

Compared with my NOID blue when it was the same size:

• irina_co
    11 years ago

What a nice bloom!

I cannot be sure 100% - but you can see a presence of something like S. saxorum in your white one - small ovate fleshy leaves.

Irina

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That could be it! I've never seen saxorum in person, so i have no good comparison. I am not sure if you can tell, but the bloom is blushed with a pale lavender. I am hoping it does well outside. I think right now it is a tad squished from shipping :)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner