Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super newb sinningia question

Posted by leahrenee1 z9FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 10:26

I bought a sinningia in november, (aurora borealis) and it had done very well. The vendor told me that eventually after flowering it would start looking poorly and the foliage would die back and that it would be resting for a few months. The plant, or it may be two plants it had two separate stems emerging from separate places in the soil, one stem is starting to bloom again and the other dried up and vanished. Should I dig it up and check to see if I have two bulbs? Did I kill one of the stems or is it resting? Can you tell this is all new to me? :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super newb sinningia question

It is very probably one tuber - 2 stems, one of them got tired and died. Nothing wrong with it.

I grow this plant - and in my conditions it is almost indeterminant - grows and blooms on the very ends on long stems - and keeps growing. Eventually they got so unsightly - I chopped them off - and put the tuber to rest - 2 months later - it sent new shoots - and I potted it again. When I cut the long stems off - I rooted the tips - it roots easily under the dome - and passed them to my gesneriad club friends.

So - it is your call- to let it be - or to chop the remaining stem and let it rest. Sometimes the old stem is still growing - and the tuber sends a new young stem. In this case I would chop the old stem - and let the new one grow, And do not forget to put the tip for rooting - it is a very desirable plant - so you can share it.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here