Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigicirca85

Browning Strep Leaf tips

gigicirca85
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I read through here and the African Violet forum quite often, though I don't post much at all, I am very impressed by the vast knowledge you've accumulated over years of experience. Also, I was recommened to purchase plants from Rob's Violet Barn, which was probably the best decision EVER!!

I received my order last October, which consisted of three new African Violets, and a Streptocarpus. The AV's are growing well, but the I'm having trouble with the Streptocarpus. This is the first streptocarpus I've tried, and the one I purchased was Bristol's Party Girl.

When I revcieved it, it was packaged beautifully-- I was so impressed with Rob's company just by the protective packaging! The plants were in perfect condition, wonderfully healthy. The strep had one large leaf, a medium sized leaf, and a baby shoot-sized leaf just growing in. For the first two months, it showed very little, if any growth. I didn't re-pot it- I've kept it in the little white dixie cup, and with regular watering (only when it had dried out for a bit) About two months ago I noticed that the tip of the large leaf was browning and crinkling. It got so bad that I removed the leaf from the plant, and it was fine for a while, but now that medium sized leaf is really browning and crinkling inward a lot.. I'm worried that I'm going to lose the plant.

Does anyone have any advice or know what I might have done wrong? The water I use is tap that I let sit out overnight. I'm careful not to overwater, and it's kept on a table where it receives indirect sunlight.

Thank you so much for the anticipated responses!

Comments (3)