Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annual, unifoliate and sticktite

Posted by gootziecat z6 TN (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 13:33

Hi all,

I think I've decide to limit my gesneriads to fragrant ones, probably streps. So I have some questions.
I suddenly became aware there are annuals and unifoliates. I've also seen the term sticktite. Can anyone tell me what sticktite means? I'd like to know if any fragrant streps fall into one of these three catagories (annual, unifoliates or sticktite)?
Thank you very much.

gootziecat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annual, unifoliate and sticktite

G. -

the fragrance is so weak - that not everybody detects it, and may be not in everybody growing conditions they come up fragrant.

Annuals and unifoliates are to my limited knowledge the same - and they do not grow for one year - may be for 2-3 depending on the conditions - but after blooming and going to seeds they die. I grew S. rimicola a couple of years ago - it is really neat and pretty miniature you need to keep enclosed for higher humidity.

Cannot say anything about fragrant species, never looked into it.

My understanding of the "sticktite" is that the corolla of the flower doesn't get dropped in several days after the opening, but actulay stays on the flower and eventually dries out. It is more about AV. Most of the hybrid sterptocarpus hold to their corolla quite tight. The only one I had in my collection that was definitely not sticktite - is a S. Moonlit Velvet - but it is a gorgeous one.

good luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: S. rimicola

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here