Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. speciosa in hydroculture

Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 13:58

I just posted pix in my shiny new(ish) Photobucket album. I have two grocery store specisosas growing in hydroton, and they're thriving! What you can't see is that the smaller of the two is loaded with buds; you bet I'll post more pix when it blooms!!

Korina!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. speciosa in hydroculture

Korina -

I want too, I want too!

Did you put a dry tuber in hydroton - or washed the soil and potted the rooted one?

Irina

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 15:55

Hi Irina. Have I mentioned lately how gorgeous your Streps are? Well, they are.

I took my tubers out of their pots and washed them well, removing most of the roots in the process. I figured, being tubers they could deal. Oh, and anything green on top came off as well, as it would just die anyway while the plant recovered from the shock.

Hey, quick question; Sinningias -- acid, neutral, or alkaline?

Korina

o

Korina -

yeah - and my tubers - either dry on me or rot!

I presume they are neutral or slightly acid growers - because they are from South America and not from the arid zone. Alkaline soil - usually means not enough rain...

Irina

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 19:42

Well, this is good, since I've been giving them 7.0 water. They haven't objected, but you never know, they could suddenly explode all their leaves or something.

I have to say, my S. speciosas weren't too happy with me when they were in soil; they were always either too wet or too dry -- now I just refill the saucer when it gets dry.

Gotta go catch a bus.

Korina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here