Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Streptocarpella exposure recommendation

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 15:00

I was under the impression this was a full-sun plant but am now not so sure. What do you folks recommend for sun for this plant? Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Streptocarpella exposure recommendation

Morning and evening sun is OK, direct midday sun is not. Dappled shade is OK.

o

Thanks for the reply! It's been a very long time since I had one of these.

o

I think it depends where you live. Those down south couldn't do this: I live in Montreal, Canada and my several streptocarpellas love direct sun, especially in the morning.

I have several, the Concord Blue, the Butterfly white and a variegated one.

So far I have not grown in the west of the garden. I will try the white one this year in this position and it gets heavy afternoon sun. Some of mine are in containers so I can just put it anywhere if I see signs of foliage getting too much light.

Nancy

o

Nancy, thanks & that sounds lovely!

o

It is amazing how versatile is this plant!

I talked with our company plant lady - and she has customers with a back yard totally shaded - even grass refuses to grow. They still want to have some flowering plants. So she just put down Streptocarpella cuttings for them - and she will plant them in a bed for summer - and they will be happy growing and even blooming where even impatiens die...

I.

o

Hi all,

I think it also depends on what time of year it is. I had one years ago and it was on top of a dresser that was in a south window. During the summertime the sun was so high in the sky that it didn't shine into the window. In the winter when the sun was low in the sky the plant got full sun. This was even with our thin, mile high air which makes everything sunburned easier.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here