Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for mixed gesneriad seedlings

Posted by snappyguy 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 16:12

I have a container of gesneriad seedlings that came from a mixed packet. The seeds included Achimenes erecta, Primulina tamiana, Nematanthus albus, Columnea linearis, Columnea hybrids, Nautilocalyx mellitifolius, Sinningia speciosa, Chirita viola, Chirita sp. from Phuket, mixed mini Sinningia hybrids, and mixed Streptocarpus hybrids. I had been growing them on a kitchen counter top with natural light, but they weren't getting enough light, and it wasn't the most convenient location. I moved them and have a 17W T8 aquarium lamp about 12" above the seedlings with a light cycle of 12 hours on, 12 off. The seedlings are just now beginning to put out true leaves. Do the lighting parameters sound ok, and if not, what would you change? I've grown a lot of gessies, but never from seed. New ground here.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for mixed gesneriad seedlings

Mark -

I would move them closer to the lamp = probably 6-8". Most of this stuff is AV requirement lightwise. And you probably need to think about repotting them now before they became one tangled mess. Toothpick works. Or you can take little clumps and put them in water to untangle - as M3rma1d suggested some time ago . At that point they will root immediately even if you damage the roots - and moved seedlings grow much faster.

I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here