Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pegwrite_gw

Washington DC area sources of chiritas

pegwrite
17 years ago

I am interested in chiritas and would like to buy some, I was especially intrigued by the last posting of small ones. I know there are lots of mail order sources but are there any local garden centers or nurseries in the northern Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland area that sells either chiritas or gesneriads in general? Also interested in any local chapter.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• komi
    17 years ago

I'm not aware of any local sources, but there is a chapter of the Gesneriad Society here. The next meeting is April 14 at the national arboretum in DC. They also have a sale every 18 months or so.

• vic_nick
    17 years ago

Komi, are you reffering to the National Capital Area chapter of the Gesneriad Society? The reason I ask is that I have been checking their web site for the next meeting date and have not seen one.

Vic

• komi
    17 years ago

yes, that's them. I don't know why the website is never updated. I get info from a friend, though actually I've never been to a meeting (only the sales).

I just looked up the details:
    April 14, 2007: 10:30 AM National Arboretum - Lee and Bob
    Stewart will give a presentation relating to the following:
    "Water and Soil Basics"

Drop me an email if you want more details.

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

Despite their new popularity Chiritas are still not widely available except from specialty (which usually means mail-order) nurseries. I have seen VERY limited offerings of gesneriads at nurseries in the DC area--you might try Behnke's in Beltsville, MD, where I've seen a smattering of Columnea, Nematanthus & Streptocarpus, (but never Chirita).

But your best bet is still membership in a local chapter, which will usually get you access to many new, rare, or otherwise hard-to-find gesneriads. Speaking of which, I am the membership chair of the Washington, DC chapter. Feel free to send me a private message with your home and/or email address and I will make sure you get a copy of the newsletter. There is a meeting at the arboretum on Saturday, April 14, at 10:30 am in the administration building; there is usually a good assortment of plants for swap, raffle and/or sale at meetings. This month's speakers are Dee (not Lee) & Bob Stewart, visiting from the New England chapter, who are phenomenal growers with eclectic tastes and will almost certainly bring a few interesting plants to sell or give away. Several chapter members also grow chiritas and there are usually a few available at meetings. (Sorry about the out-of-date chapter website, there has been talk about giving it a major overhaul.)

• gootziecat
    16 years ago

Brennan's in Mt. Jackson, Va. has them, along with some other rare beauties. It's only a couple hours drive from D.C. area, and a lovely one at that. Brennan's have some on eBay about to go off now, if you're interested. Good luck.
    gootziecat

• komi
    16 years ago

Well, the meeting was good and there were Chiritas on the raffle table (and more than enough plants for anyone who wanted some) and there is prep work going on for updating the website, as John mentioned. Glad I went because I came home with a few plants that have been on my wish list for a while.

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

There is a local flower show and sale coming up, and there should be chiritas and many other gesneriads available as well as african violets. Quoting from the email I received:

"The Baltimore African Violet Club will hold their annual MotherÂs Day Show and Sale at the Harford Mall on Bel Air Road in Bel Air, Maryland on Friday, May 11, 10am-9:30pm (Show will not open until 2pm after judging is completed, Sale will open at 10am) and Saturday, May 12, 10am-5pm (both show & sale).

"Hundreds of beautiful African violets and other exotic houseplants will be offered for sale. The sale will also feature leaves, cuttings, and many growing supplies including soil mix, plant rings, self-watering pots and much more. This event is free to the public."