Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbirdy

Happy me!!

qbirdy
19 years ago

I went to the GardenScape Flower Show in Rochester NY and found 2 nematanthus "Tropicana" and n. strigilossus(?). Then I saw an AV that I just HAD to get, "Funambule" I didn't plan on getting the AV, but it was so neat! LOL. I'm happy, got me a couple more goldfish plants. Now I just need to find Hawaiian Jade, Chocolate Soldier, Black Gold...well, any would do!

I'm happy!!

Lenore :)

Comments (5)

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi Lenore,

Congrats on the find. Plant shows are wonderful places to find treasures.

Larry

• james_ny
    19 years ago

Great finds. How was the show?

• jon_d
    19 years ago

The name "Nematanthus Chocolate Soldier" is a bad name but it somehow has found its way into the commercial world. This annoys me since it is actually a well named, and well known hybrid, called 'Black Magic', an old Saylor hybrid from the 70's. But, anyway you find it, that's OK. There must be about 50 nematanthus species and hybrids in cultivation but the numbers keep rising (slowly). I have one called 'Magnot' that has very nice red flowers and glossy foliage. I like the small leaved oldie called 'Encore', another Saylor hybrid. He also did 'Green Magic', 'Bijou', 'Castanet' and a few others. These tend to have very similar flowers but different foliage. A spectacular but slower grower of his is 'Carnival' with red dangling flowers. I also like his 'Lemon Lime' with big yellow flowers. But, I would also suggest you get some of the big leaved, big flowered types like fluminensis, crassifolius, and 'Stoplight'. I could go on and on. Lauray of Salisbury is a good source. Judy will propagate to order if she doesn't have rooted plants ready, or she will sell cuttings for half price. I would go with cuttings since they are so easy to root. But, her rooted plants are always well established. She keeps the biggest list of nematanthus even though they aren't good sellers for her. Like me, she loves them.

Jon

• qbirdy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The flower was nice, but the vendors weren't as good as last year. Still I had a good time and found those nematanthus. I'm addicted to these plants, and love the little flowers. They seem so cheery to me. My older 2 goldfish plants are covered in buds and blooms, they are so cool!
    I'm going to Plantasia in Buffalo in a couple weeks, hoping to find some more cool plants!

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Lenore, the following was posted today on the Gesneriphiles email group:

"The African Violet and Gesneriad Society of Western New York will hold its annual show and plant sale on Saturday April 30 and Sunday May 1, 2005. The show is at the Galleria Mall, on Walden Avenue just two blocks from the Exit off the I-90 (freeway section in Buffalo, NY). The show will be judged early Saturday morning and, hopefully, be open to the public by noon. The sales booth will be available from 10 AM to 9 PM on Saturday and on Sunday from 11 AM to about 4 PM.
    There is no admission charge; free to the public!
    This is our first dual show - AVSA and AGGS sanctioned. It will be interesting, as AVSA judges by merit and AGGS by competitive judging. Another opportunity to educate the public and our members!
    from Paul Kroll"

Jon

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus