Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Sinn. Amizade

korina
15 years ago

Hi. How do I get my tuber to sprout? It looks healthy, it has healthy roots, but it's just sitting there. It's been months.

Comments (10)

• korina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's under lights, in hydroton, with my other mini Sinns (which are getting ready to bloom again).

Thanks, Korina

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Korina,

You find out and we both will know. I have a tuber half the size of a golf ball and I cannot get it to sprout either.

Irina, Help?

Larry

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Aha - and I have 2 plump non sprouting mini tubers for a year.

I listened to David Harris talk (Ozark sinns)- and there 2 things -
    1. when you put your sinningia tuber to rest - always cut the stalk above last node. This way you preserve buds even if the buds on the base won't resprout.
    2. Keep it in a slightly humid sphagnum moss for year checking every month - if it doesn't sprout - discard.

Hugs

irina

• korina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rest? It's supposed to rest? Where? How?

1. Oops.
    2. How's about regular 'green' moss? It works for 'sphag and bag' orchids.

Korina

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Hi Korina-

1. Oops happens to me on a regular basis.
    2. You can use slightly humid vermiculite. The sphagnum moss is sold for orchids in $4.78 a bag - the cheaper brand. More expensive light colored sphagnum moss - in specialized orchid places - about $9 a bag - and it doesn't have sticks, dirt, weeds, dried frogs.. The advantage of this moss is that it is slightly antiseptic - prevents fungal and bacterial rot.

I.

• korina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Irina -- sadly, none of the nurseries I've been to actually carry sphagnum moss.

Should I keep it in low light, no light? Warm, cool?

Thanks for your patience.

Korina

PS Dried frogs?? Ewww!

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I keep them in a tray on the top of the shelf - and check rhizomes and tubers from time to time. When they start sprouting - I pot them.

I started using milled New Zealand sphagnum moss to add to the 1;1;1 violet soil half and half for kohlerias, smithiantas, sinningias and episcias - "dirty moss" - and they love it.

I posted the link to the long fiber sphagnum moss place.

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: sphagnum moss

• korina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dunno, 500 grams for one Sinn.

I just bagged it with a barely damp paper towel moistened with filtered water (fewer bugs/mold/algae/etc.). We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, Irina.

Korina

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Korina - you are always welcome.

Since you are a mini lady - you can grow tons of mini sinningias.

But - so much gydroton will bend your shelf.

Go Sphagnum!!

Irina

Actually a milled sphagnum is a neat top dressing for anything that grows in soil. lots of people do it with the show plants.

• korina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wheee! I casually looked at my tuber AND IT'S SPROOTING!! Thanks so much for the help, Irina.

PS Hydroton is actually pretty light -- it's the *water* that's heavy. I'd love to grow tons of mini sinns, but I'd have to shoehorn them in around the orchids, Cryptanthus, Begonias, and small(leaved) Episcia, and miscellaneous other plants crowding my little shelves! It may be time to thin the herd...

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz