Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to grow

Posted by gootziecat z6 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 17:45

Hi,

I have discovered gesneriads and other neat houseplants only recently. Talk about a kid in the candy shop. However, I can't buy all of them and being unfamiliar with these plants, I'd like some advice. I'm interested in chirita, episcia and streptocarpus particularly. My house has a window with western exposure where now hangs spider plants. Espiscia would look stunning there. I have a sliding glass door, with an overhang and southern exposure, where the non-operating portion might be converted with a plant stand or small indoor greenhouse. Temps never get below 60. We usually run the a/c in the summer, but there are days, like today being unseasonably warm, where the windows are open and temps are in the low 80's. If the a/c or heat is running, temps are usually in the low to mid 70's. Can some one help guide me as to which of the above species might thrive for me?
Thank you.

gootziecat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to grow

G. -

Aeschinanthus and nematanthus will work beautifully instead of the spider plants.

It can be too much light if it is direct western exposure for the rest of them. Episcia is very tender - so 60F is too low for it. Streps like low temps, but low 80s are too high for them, chiritas too like it cooler.

I think you can try them all but - I think the most critical factor is light. If it is a lot of light - you need to put sheer curtain between the plants and the glass.

You can try Kohleria - they have high light requirements and mostly quite tough. Look up Red Ryder Kohleria - they have huge flowers and the leaves are very attractive too.

Good luck

Irina

o

• Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 9:32

Irina is right of course. I would add that many of the Streps, chiritas and epicias may grow acceptably most of the year, and although you may find temp stress, it probably won't be bad enough that you would lose them. Your temps sound better than mine, and I grow some of all three. I am pushing the temps, though. You might try a couple of each.

o

Thanks for the input. I just ordered a couple of streps and I love chirita s. hisako so that'll probably be the next purchase. Aeschinanthus look interesting and some of the Epicas are gorgeous although I am concerned about them being a bit delicate. And oh, all those AV's. Sounds like I'm already in deep fertilizer.

gootziecat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here