Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canadian sources

Posted by cgjedi (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 18:24

Does anybody know of some reputable sources in Canada for Lipstick plants and/or Columnea? I have heard of the one near Victoria with "harbor" in the name - but they have a really bad reputation. There used to be others that sold on ebay in the past, but their sites are not working now.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canadian sources

Hi,

The Violet Barn sells Lipstick plants and Columnea and ship to Canada. Here is that link:

The Violet Barn

o

Yes, I agree you shouldn't try that particular source. The best source is African violet club or Gesneriad club shows. There should be lots available at the American Gesneriad Society convention in Vancouver this year.

Violets4you sells on e-bay and carries some columnea. She may have some lipstick plants too, but I know she was going to stop carrying them as they took too much space.

o

I stumbled across Mountian View Tropicals while looking for a Canadian source of Gesneriads.

Mike

o

I am looking to obtain rhizomes or seeds for Smithiantha "temple Bells" especially want Clara Curtis.

o

Susan -

I never saw Smithiantha "Clara Curtis".

Anyway - there are 2 vendors that always carry Smithianthas -
belislesviolethouse.com
lauray.com

You cannot get seeds of the named hybrid - they only propagate through the rhizomes. You can order seeds of the species from Gesneriad Society seed fund if you are a member.
You can look on ebay - and the seller "sallys_garden" has rhizomes od different varieties and seeds of his own smithiantha crosses. If you grow new plants and you like the hybrids - you can contacty the hybridizer and agree on how to name the hybrid. He would give you the prefix - and you will come with the rest - somehing like Florida - Susan's Bikini

Good Luck

irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here