Return to the Gesneriad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strep and sun

Posted by winnjoe MB (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 05 at 18:59

My streps are not picking up and are sort of weak and pale looking. I've heard they like southern windows in the winter so I tried that and lost a lot of leaves. Maybe this far north a southern winter window is too sunny. What do you suggest? 'near' a southern window? a gauzy curtain? under lights?
Joe, Winnipeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strep and sun

I placed my Streptocarpus 'Falling Stars' on a glaringly sunny southern windowsill from December until the beginning of this month (March) and it absolutely loved it. It never once lost its deep green color or stopped producing countless flower buds. I noticed that the leaves produced with this much sunshine tended to be much more compact than the shade-produced leaves. However, the plant started to look a bit pouty with the increasingly strong sun rays of spring so it is now in a very bright eastern window and is now a gigantic mass of bloom.

o

• Posted by Jon_D Northern Calif. (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 16:37

Streps do well under lights. Almost all gesneriads do well under lights unless they get too tall. If the plants are sickly it could be something else--crown rot? bugs? bad soil mix? who knows? Try propagation. That usually is the best way to cope. Put down leaves and get some backups going. Have more than one of a given variety, so that you can try them in different locations, mixes, etc. Enclosing plants under plastic or in terrariums under lights is often a great way to revive a sick plant.

o

Joe,

Sun is probably not your problem. I have grown streps at my south and my east windows. The only problem I've had was burning of the leaves in spring at the east window.

I am wicking all of my streps and feeding them half strength Schultz fertilizer. The soil mix is 3:2:2, soilless mix:perlite:vermiculte. You might want to check for soil mealy bugs too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gesneriad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here