Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwedzi

I got ribbons!

mwedzi
19 years ago

Well, I got one yellow for my terrarium (there was no blue in that class). One red for my Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue'. And three blues. One for the unusual container class, where I had Bristol's Ribbon Candy strep in a candle (I spent a long time hollowing out the inside of that candle). One for P. begoniifolia, who got a little bigger than what's posted in the gallery. And one for the Streptocarpus 'Bethan', which also got a special award and so got to be on the big table with in the center with the best in show (Kohleria 'Texas Rainbow' exhibited in the foliage class by its hybridizer, Dale Martens) and Episcia 'Jim's Black Ace' (I think that's what it's called, exhibited by Gary Mikita, who sales lots of episcias and streps - see his ads in AVSA mag). Considering who else was on the table, I was pretty proud.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• james_ny
    19 years ago

Congrats on a great plant. Lots of blooms. Wish my streps bloomed like that.

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Yaay, Nikki! That's great! Beautiful plant. Maybe we could see the rest of them? Always love to see pictures.
    Nancy

• jon_d
    19 years ago

WAy to go Nikki! Isn't it fun to win. Of course we aren't competitive at all, but still its.... (hehehe) a good feeling all the same. Your strep looks really fine. You've groomed it and its at its peak. The foliage looks very nice, and you have lots of flowers. My favorite time to see the show is after all the set up and staging has been done and before the judging happens. That's when all the plants are perfect and fresh, and the competition aspect is still mysterious. Then I love to see the show again when its all judged and the special plants are on their table. To me, the fact that gesneriad judging is such an inexact science, makes it all the better. There are no hard and fast rules--its a matter of judgement (that's why they're called "judges").

Now, today, I better get my registration for the convention in! I mustn't put it off any longer........I've got a few things to do first. (will he do it???)

Jon

• Cat_Gal
    19 years ago

Great growing, Mwedzi! With pictures like that, I'm tempted to get me a strep, too. Congrats!

-CG

• mwedzi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nancy, being the ditz that I am, I forgot my camera both days, so I don't have any pics of my own. That pic was taken by Dale Martens. I'm waiting for other members of my club to send me some of theirs. When they do, I'll be sure to post them.

Pre-judging is definitely the best time. It's quiet, anticipation. By the time I got my plants home, many of them had lost flowers and had broken leaves from being boxed up in small boxes. What can I say, it's still freakin winter here (i hate this place!!), so it was better to keep them warm in a little box than to have their flower stalks upright but get hit with 30 degree air.

Well, I'm going to go take a rest. I put together a baker's rack like someone else posted (who was it, was it Larry?) today. And I saw the Ring Two, so it's time for me to go huddle under a light now.

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hey Nikki,

Nice going! That is a wonderful looking streptocarpus! It sounds like you've made out really fantastic.

I am glad to hear that you are putting together a Baker's rack. I think you will really injoy it. You will have so much more room for more gessies so you can win more blue ribbons next year.

Again, congratulations.

Larry

• vickster257
    19 years ago

Way to go! I am so envious in a good way but so happy for you -- the plant looks great and by the way, so do you!!!

Vicki

• maggie99
    19 years ago

Nikki, that is so exciting!!! Way to grow girl!!! I would be sooooo proud! I remember my first (and only) ribbons, as well as the first show I had ever seen, That was in Sacrameto at the convention, where I was lucky enough to be able to show as a novice. I am not sure anyone else won a ribbon otherwise except Bill Price, who I might add, had the best grown Gesneriads this girl had ever seen. Just kidding about Bill taking all of them, I think....LOL

Great pic of a beautiful Strep and lady!!!

Quoting Jon "Now, today, I better get my registration for the convention in! I mustn't put it off any longer........I've got a few things to do first. (will he do it???)

Jon"

Jon, no you didn't, unless you put it in the mail. hehe

Maggie

• jon_d
    19 years ago

Whaddayamean I didn't register. Why I registered, oh, um, er, doh, about half a minute ago. It was the cats' fault. First one was on my lap and I couldn't type. Then later on, my wallet with my card was in my shirt which was on the bed with the other cat napping on it. So that's my excuse. Blame Charlie and Lorenzo.